Ottawa Hi-Fi
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Manny Calavera

500+ Head-Fier
I live in Ottawa Canada,and was not sure where else to post this....so....

Where in this cemetary can one find a store that carries AKG/BeyerDynamic/etc... I want to demo some of these higher end sets of cans before I lay down 300 to 500+ dollars for a set.

I listen to primarily Underground Hip Hip and Rap/with a little Blues and Soul for good measure.No mainstream stuff,and nothing you would ever hear on the radio.

I curently have a set of Senn 433d's / Senn 477's / and 497's / and a older set of AKG 240 that are now dead,and very old.I just got my income tax
and want a something better.But I want to demo some of these things before laying down the dough !

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the day off on Tuesday,and cash to spend ....now what ?
redface.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 10
The Audio Shop (685 Bank Street) has a number of Beyers that you may audition.

Bleekers has Senn 650's (sometimes) and a limited quantity of Grado's.

Not sure if you can get your hands on AKG here though.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audio Shop (685 Bank Street) has a number of Beyers that you may audition.

Bleekers has Senn 650's (sometimes) and a limited quantity of Grado's.

Not sure if you can get your hands on AKG here though.

Thanks for the response.Kanata Lighting and Sound carries AKG,but have none in stock to demo...
frown.gif
They can qoute me prices and sell them to me,but I'd be buying on blind faith.
frown.gif

I have noticed allot of the higher end brands are not represented in Ottawa at all.If you want speakers,the sky is the limit,but finding good to great cans ? good luck....
rolleyes.gif
The few that do,want me to shell out and just trust them.Even the ones that do,like KL & S,dont actually carry anything.

As an aside,any Canucks here buy anything from the HeadRoom ? How did they deliver and was it fast ? UPS is notorious for brokerage fee's,and although I do know quite well how to get around those,I am sick of having
to jump through hoops to do that.Is the HeadRoom good about about special delivery instructions ?

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 10
I found what I was looking for...and based off the ton and a half of research I have done Headroom is pretty good with pricing (relative to the Canadian Market).

Although yesterday,I found out that a big music store here in town 'Steve's Music' is an authorized AKG / Beyerdynamic / Ultrasone / Sennheiser / Koss,etc dealer,and has allot of selection OH,and excellent pricing.Lower then what the Headroom would have cost me with shipping included (not to mention taxes when they get across the border).... In fact the pricing is lower then can be found on Ebay when you factor in shipping and taxs !! Not the most knowledgable sales reps,but very friendly and honest.Not pushy at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

AKG 701's for 349.00

AKG 601's for 254.00 Cdn

BeyerDynamic 250-80's for 219.00

AKG 240S for 129.00 ....

Multiples of all of the above in stock,and I tried them all out over a 4 + hour listening session,without anyone hovering over me,making sure I didnt try and steal anything or break the cans,like in some stores
rolleyes.gif
I was treated with respect and not like an idiot,very nice change from some of the other Hi Fi shops here in town that seem to think the terms 'Hi Fi' and 'headphone' stop at Grado and Senn's.... Or Ultrasone.

I tried two different Ultrasones this week,one was 179.00 new and the other was 499.00 and the AKG's and Beyer's I tried yesterday blew both right out of the water.I never realized how much a difference spending an extra 90 to 150 on cans could make.I now dont want to use any of the cans I have,and I am dying to get back to Steve's this weekend to buy those Beyer's !!!!!!!!

They also had the DT 770's And 860's,and a ton of other Senns,high and mid range,but I did not ask pricing and had already spent the whole afternoon there,listening to the few cd's I brought along......
redface.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I'm heading to Steve'st then...been looking at AKG701's ..do they have other than white ones there?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they only make those shiny iPod white ones.

And Steve's is the shiznat. Most definately where I will be making my next headphone purchases. Just ask about any brand they sell and if they don't have it in stock they will order it in, and the prices they quoted me were all very reasonable.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

I'm heading to Steve'st then...been looking at AKG701's ..do they have other than white ones there?

No they do not,they only make em in white (which I loved hearing and looking at...)

I just spent a small fortune there (Beyer DT250-80's and a set of AKG K601's)
redface.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 10
Distinctive audio has a small selection of Grados. Planet of sounds carry quite a large array of products but they might not be very competitively priced

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 10
By the way, would anyone be interested in a meet?

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Maybe.... ?

I dont have much,whats in the sig,is it.I do have a large music collection though,but its very lopsided as to genre
biggrin.gif
I just got into this in the last few weeks.

Where is 'Distinctive Audio' located ?

I went to Dewer's,and The Audio Centre in the Glebe,Steve's,Planet Sound on Bank St.,and a few others as well.PS has Stax as does Dewer's and they have em set up for testing.Dewers was 'By Appointment' though
biggrin.gif
I had
to phone ahead.... This was all over a week.I tried a few Grado's,upto an RS-2,two different Stax's,many Sone's,and a few Ety's.I didnt bother with KLS as they had nothing in stock,but Senn's I have already tried over the years,or one's I already owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back