OTL/Trans switch on the ASL MG Head OTL
Sep 5, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
who wants to pay $5000 for their top-of-the-line amps when they can't even get their cheapest products right?

this is why i won't ever be interested or buy anything from asl again. i would rather have good build quality and less money than a product that's falling apart, but sounds good.

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 56
I have some minor irritations with my MG Head too. The static I had (very low level) in the right channel went away for a few weeks, then last time I used it, it appeared in the LEFT channel, then went away after it warmed up.

I don't know. After having both it and a Premium Little, I would think the Little is a better deal than the MG Head with tube rolling.
I would really like the Premium Little with Little MOre Power.

Ah,,,more spending.

Sep 6, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
I have some minor irritations with my MG Head too. The static I had (very low level) in the right channel went away for a few weeks, then last time I used it, it appeared in the LEFT channel, then went away after it warmed up.

Ah,,,more spending.

could possable be the tube at fault rather then the MG Head?

Sep 6, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

this is why i won't ever be interested or buy anything from asl again. i would rather have good build quality and less money than a product that's falling apart, but sounds good.

i havent yet heard anyone having their MG Head falling apart on them so you are being a little dramatic there arent you?

judging from the many people who was about to afford the MG Head at their valued price. it should be noted that the MG Head is targeted at those who do want a great sound at an affordable price. Had the MG Head be locally constructed, locally supervised, extended testing using superior quality and buildsmanship. It'd probably be twice as expensive and only make a fraction of the sell. dont buy a suzuki and expect a benz.

besides, just about every company have their cheap and expensive models. sony, aiwa, AT, Sennheiser etc etc. asl's new twinhead could very well be a very well built custom model. they sure are taking their time at finalising and releasing it.

Sep 6, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #21 of 56
I think ASL can be likened to an American car, as opposed to like Honda. They are both inferior to your Mercedes, taoster, but the American car companies have chosen to add more features to their cars, at the expense of quality. Honda on the other hand makes very basic, but well built cars. Wouldn't we rather buy our national built cars, rather than a Japanese import?--yet we still import more cars than we make ourselves.

Does BMW skimp on their 3-series?--it's their economy line after all. Of course not... when we buy a BMW we expect the best, no matter the model.

ASL is an high-end company. Every model they make should be made with the same high standards, no matter the pricepoint.

We should be happy with our crooked faceplates and uneven feet huh? Well, then I hope you enjoy the crooked emblem and leaky windows on your 325i.

dean

Sep 6, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus

We should be happy with our crooked faceplates and uneven feet huh? Well, then I hope you enjoy the crooked emblem and leaky windows on your 325i.

dean

I never said anyone should be happy with their crooked faceplates and uneven feet.

lets put it this way, i finally got my hands on some seen mx500. its made from very CHEAP plastic with a cheap cord+plug. the ear pad is a little squished and uneven too. it sounds okay but its hardly on the same quality level as say the sony 888 and it sure isnt constructed to last. would i take the build of the mx500 and expect the senn600 to be of the same built, cheap flimsy plastic that wont last with use? no.

MG Head was never built to be the best performing or quality. it was built to be the best bang per buck amp available.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #23 of 56
welp, i sent my amp out for repairs 3 weeks ago. then the store says to me that their tech is out sick and won't be back for 1/2 a week. they said they won't send me a new unit until the tech looks at it. well... the tech finally showed eventually, and said, "Yup, it's broke!".... so, they send it out to Divergent.... and now, today, i gave Divergent a call and the lady said everyone is out to a trade show, and they won't even look at it until next week.

come on!--why can't anyone just look and see it's broken!? the faceplate is so obviously crooked... she even told me 1 month ago that if the faceplate is crooked, it's cause the holes were drilled wrong and they would replace it. it's gonna be at least 5 weeks before i get my amp back! i mean, a tech already said it's screwed up!--what more can they possibly do!?

oh... and when i asked if she can just send me a new one now, she says, "Oh, we're out of stock." GREAT. ..."but we have to look at it first anyway...."

man... this is really pissing me off.

dean

Sep 12, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 56
That sucks dude.
frown.gif

My MG Head's negative feedback wiring wasn't properly installed too. Byt my local dealer fixed it himself - said it's quicker that way.

I hope you'll get your amp back soon.

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 56
okay........ now if you don't belive me that ASL sucks...... here's what happened....

i just called Divergent... and they finally looked at my unit. she told me that they couldn't find anything worng!!! she said, "The only thing we could find wrong are the feet are a little crooked, but for a unit that should sell for $500 more, that's okay." I HATE THAT ATTITUDE! no it's not okay! not when people are spending $100s on replacement virabtion feet and stuff!.... stupid.

then she says they didn't see the faceplate's crooked. dang, the tech at the shop saw instantly how crooked it was!!! i mean, one side is 1/2cm-1cm lower than the other!!! how dare she!

they didn't even hear the low level buzz in the left channel!!!

what kind of tech do they have!? do you really trust a company like this?

anyway, they won't send me a replacement.

i am sick of this crap... every person that walks into my studio and looks at the amp says, "You know it's crooked?"..... ARGHH!!!!!

what do you think?

dean

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #26 of 56
welp, i just got off the phone with Holm Audio in IL (630) 663-1298... and they said that despite what Divergent says, they will go ahead and send me a new unit. their tech did afterall look at my unit before mailing it out to divergent.... now that's what service is all about.

they said that they'll just use my unit as a display unit. but it's not right for them to take a loss cause of Divergent's stupid techs.

and you guys shouldn't stand for this either.

i say return all your defective and humming MG Heads.... tell Divergent you won't stand for this!

dean

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 56
Orpheus,

The unshielded hook-up wire the MG-Head uses is its Achilles heel. Either replace it or attempt the power switch fix others have had success with.

NGF

Sep 19, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 56
yeah, i've read the posts. i tried fiddling with it a bit, and moving it around doesn't do much. i even tried shielding the power wires and the main signal wires with some aluminum foil... that didn't help much either.

but come on............ divergent's behavior is not acceptable. don't you think so!?

come on guys, will you stand for this!?

dean

Sep 19, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 56
I've never had any such issues, so I have no reason to complain. Since taking my Head to the next level (and learning a good deal about its circuit in the process), I've felt confident about my ability to solve any problems I may have in the future.

Divertech could have been more on-the-ball, but surely now you see the value of a reliable dealer.

Have fewer headaches with your new amp =).

NGF

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 56
Oh crap! I just got my amp from Holm last weekend and I've noticed that whent he volume is low, the left channel is much softer than the right and because of this the center is off when I listen on OTL and Trans w/o feedback. Now I want to return it but if the the tech at Divergent listens to it and keeps it loud, they'll probably screw over Holm again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back