OTL question
Jan 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mab1376

1000+ Head-Fier
Can someone explain to me why you get higher output from higher impedance phones with an OTL amp?

I am in no way an electrical engineer, so layman's terms please.
beyersmile.png

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 6
form one laman to anothr 
size]
  High impedance cans need higher voltage and lower current.  This typically is what tubes do, they are (relatively) high AC voltage output devices, with a (relatively) low current ceiling.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Cool thanks!

So now whats the function of a Power and Driver tube?

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 6
I think (and don't quote me on this, let others correct me and fill in the details)... driver tube provides current (albeit in limited quantity), the power tubes provide voltage swing.  Together they create wattage.  again lamens analysis.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 6
One thing that kinda struck me as strange was on the Woo site, it says for a the WA22, upgrading the rectifier tube has a beneficial effect on sound.

Doesn't the rectifier just convert AC to DC? how would that stage of the amp effect sound?

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier
Quote:
Wide open soundstage, full body, silky smooth, a great combination with the above tubes. Buy and ship independently. Sophia Electric™ 274B tube is a premium rectifier tube for a 5U4/5R4/5AR4 direct replacement with 3X longer plate structure, thus it has a deeper, wider sound stage and even smoothier sound than Mullard 5AR4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back