OTL amp budget $1000-1800
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 30
I used to own the 339,and while it was good,it wasnt in the same league as a Glenn or a WA2,or some of the other amps being mentioned here.
If the OP had a budget under a grand,I'd give a hard look at the 339,but he can get better with his budget.

After contacting the builder of the Citadel/Oblivion amp it seems like it costs a fortune to ship any of his amps(they are freaking huge).

So I went looking for the WA2 you mentioned here and they ship for free!, and I am asking if it's comparable and good alternative to the GOTL for a $1200 shipped? (shipping amps like this one to my country usually cost ~$130).

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #17 of 30
Its been quite awhile since I had the WA2,and I didnt have it,nor the La Figaro 339,nor the GOTL at the same time.
I had the 5998 tubes in it,which was a hefty upgrade,but I still feel for the $,the Glenn offers so much more versatility than pretty much any amp out there. I can make it sound bright for warm headphones,and warm for bright headphones. There are literally millions of tube combos one can roll in the Glenn! The WA2 not so much.
My Glenn is pretty loaded and I got it for $1500.00 and wouldnt trade it for a WA2.

However if youre not into tube rolling,and just want an amp to sound the same regardless of which headphone youre rocking then the WA2 is a good amp. The wait for a Glenn is also something to consider. You can have a WA2 on your doorstep in about a week.

FWIW I wasnt a roller until I got my Glenn. Premium tubes can be costly,but keep in mind a lot of Glenn owners love a six pack of 6BX7s in the power slots. 6BX7s arent expensive,and cannot be rolled into the WA2 AFAIK. Also keep in mind I only heard my WA2 with the 5998s. Those aint cheap,and I would be shocked if they came stock with the WA2.

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 30
Its been quite awhile since I had the WA2,and I didnt have it,nor the La Figaro 339,nor the GOTL at the same time.
I had the 5998 tubes in it,which was a hefty upgrade,but I still feel for the $,the Glenn offers so much more versatility than pretty much any amp out there. I can make it sound bright for warm headphones,and warm for bright headphones. There are literally millions of tube combos one can roll in the Glenn! The WA2 not so much.
My Glenn is pretty loaded and I got it for $1500.00 and wouldnt trade it for a WA2.

However if youre not into tube rolling,and just want an amp to sound the same regardless of which headphone youre rocking then the WA2 is a good amp. The wait for a Glenn is also something to consider. You can have a WA2 on your doorstep in about a week.

FWIW I wasnt a roller until I got my Glenn. Premium tubes can be costly,but keep in mind a lot of Glenn owners love a six pack of 6BX7s in the power slots. 6BX7s arent expensive,and cannot be rolled into the WA2 AFAIK. Also keep in mind I only heard my WA2 with the 5998s. Those aint cheap,and I would be shocked if they came stock with the WA2.

No they don't come with it :D they ship it with
Tubes: 6080 power x 2, 6922 driver x 2, 6CA4 rectifier x 2

I know the GOTL is the way to go but I really can't especially with this crazy long wait time.
I am not into tube rolling for changing the frequency response, I shamelessly EQ everything I use, I want an OTL for it's sound and soundstage, also I heard the woo audio stuff are neutral sounding so it's a plus as I really like the tuning of the Verite on my thx SS amp.

From what I understand from your comment is that the wa2 technical performance is comparable to the GOTL, the GOTL is just more versatile and accept more tubes, is that right? if so I will happily pull the trigger on the wa2 :)

Aug 31, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 30

I know the GOTL is the way to go but I really can't especially with this crazy long wait time.
I am not into tube rolling for changing the frequency response, I shamelessly EQ everything I use, I want an OTL for it's sound and soundstage, also I heard the woo audio stuff are neutral sounding so it's a plus as I really like the tuning of the Verite on my thx SS amp.

From what I understand from your comment is that the wa2 technical performance is comparable to the GOTL, the GOTL is just more versatile and accept more tubes, is that right? if so I will happily pull the trigger on the wa2 :)

The WA2 is a good enough amp if you’re not willing to wait. Technically they’re not comparable. Its sound stage is smaller, it doesn’t go as deep, it doesn’t layer as well, and is behind on imaging. These are things EQ won’t fix as they are inherent to the amps topology.

I’m currently trying out two amps, one is a $5000 amp and the other a $2500 amp. The $5000 amp is a very clear, punchy, and full sounding OTL but it’s missing depth the GOTL has. Layering could be better but the GOTL isn’t as clear. The $2500 amp sounds almost exactly like the Glenn OTL except again doesn’t layer as well but it’s snappier.

The GOTL punches up for its price.

Regardless, buy the WA2 amp. It’s a well made amp that’s readily available.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #20 of 30

I dont know if youve had a tube amp before,but in most cases the tubes that are sent along with your purchase are starter tubes. Something to get you started. As @Phantaminum pointed out

Its sound stage is smaller, it doesn’t go as deep, it doesn’t layer as well, and is behind on imaging. These are things EQ won’t fix as they are inherent to the amps topology.
there are certain sound qualities that cannot be EQ'd in,such as width and depth of staging,speed,separation,etc...
Your starter tubes wont excel at much of that,and you will want to upgrade those. Do not underestimate the differences in sound tubes can have. Its mind blowing the difference between a $20.00 Russian and $200.00 GEC,Tung Sol or real Mullard. The differences are not subtle.

I realize that the wait for a Glenn is long at this point,and theres a good reason for that. He makes great sounding amps that can hang with other much more costly amps. If you cant wait,then as Phanta and I both said,the WA2 is a good amp. Get the upgraded tubes and you'll be good to go,but personally I'd wait for a GOTL.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #21 of 30
I dont know if youve had a tube amp before,but in most cases the tubes that are sent along with your purchase are starter tubes. Something to get you started. As @Phantaminum pointed out

there are certain sound qualities that cannot be EQ'd in,such as width and depth of staging,speed,separation,etc...
Your starter tubes wont excel at much of that,and you will want to upgrade those. Do not underestimate the differences in sound tubes can have. Its mind blowing the difference between a $20.00 Russian and $200.00 GEC,Tung Sol or real Mullard. The differences are not subtle.

I realize that the wait for a Glenn is long at this point,and theres a good reason for that. He makes great sounding amps that can hang with other much more costly amps. If you cant wait,then as Phanta and I both said,the WA2 is a good amp. Get the upgraded tubes and you'll be good to go,but personally I'd wait for a GOTL.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks to you both, I am leaning to the gotl more now, but will see…

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #22 of 30
Get the WA2 now. Get on the wait list for a GOTL now. I put my name down on the list April 2018, and I still think there are a couple of people ahead of me. I also believe the wait list is longer since April 2018.

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 30
Aug 31, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #24 of 30
Get the WA2 now. Get on the wait list for a GOTL now. I put my name down on the list April 2018, and I still think there are a couple of people ahead of me. I also believe the wait list is longer since April 2018.

Excuse me... 2018?

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #25 of 30
Excuse me... 2018?
I will allow Leftside to clarify. I had approx 2 and a half month wait on mine,a little over a year ago,but I as I said above,word is getting around and Glenn is getting more orders. Perhaps drop a PM to @2359glenn and he can give you a definitive answer as to how long the wait actually is.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #26 of 30
Hello everyone.

I am looking for names and recommendations for an otl amp in the price range of $1000-1800 for my ZMF Verite.

I want it to have great dynamics, soundstage and imaging.

The amps I know are the Feliks audio Euforia and Glenn OTL.

I am planning to get the Euforia because I can't wait 4 months for Glenn otl.

Any other suggestions are welcome. ❤
Bottlehead Audio Crackatwoa.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #27 of 30
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #28 of 30
The amp is worth the wait, just get something to hold you over.

@leftside is completely correct about the wait times.

I got 2 answers from @2359glenn, one a month old and the second one after @leftside 's comment, both aswers suggest a 4 months queue time. I don't know if there are some very long delays. I hope either leftside or Glenn clarify that.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #29 of 30
Nothing to clarify. I already have a Glenn 300B amp, and requested a second amp April 2018. Glenn makes great amps. Perhaps Glenn gives priority to people who don't already have one of his amps? You'll have to ask him the criteria he uses when selecting which amp to build next.

Another custom builder is currently building me an OTL amp. It's about 50% complete so far - the power chassis is complete, and work has commenced on the amp chassis (it's a split design like the WA33). This is a top of the line amp with all the bells and whistles - but the amp builder can certainly build amps in your price range as well. I'll post more details here on HeadFi once it's complete.

Sep 2, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 30
I think the 4 months wait on for Glenn's amps are not that bad. My total process took about 5 months for my GEL3N but to be fair, a lot of the time was spent waiting for parts and I also changed to larger chassis half way thru the build. IMHO this wait is well worth it. I am now in the process of building another custom amp with Glenn and I am ok to take a longer time this rime round as I wanted everything to be just right. Besides, I have my GEL3N keeping me company.

For its price, I think it is difficult to find a better sounding amp than the GOTL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back