"Other" storage on iPod?
Apr 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Hard to say.
I suggest you access you iPod directly in Finder or Explorer (depending if you run Mac OS X or MS Windows), and peak around the folders in there. It might be artwork, iTunesDB or iTunesControl, even if 12GB sound way to high...

Perhaps you have not emptied your Trash?

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 8
This happened to my ipod too. It showed that 16gb were being occupied by "Other". I just restored it and it has been fine since. It was because I was using itunes to load videos and jriver media center for music. Everytime I synced my ipod with jrivermedia half of the videos would disappear and the "Other" space would get larger and larger when i added more videos and then synced music.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I've had my iPods do this for 2 reasons.
  • Didn't eject the iPod before unplugging it, or didn't wait for it to stop saying don't unplug.
  • On my first iPod, this started happening when the hard drive was dying.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting...I reconnected my iPod to troubleshoot the problem and the "other" is now taking up 300mb. Weird O.o

Strange for sure.
But at least those "other" files no longer occupy 12BG on you iPod. Or so it seems...

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 8
When I had it happen because I unplugged my iPod without ejecting, all I had to do to recover is replug it in. My guess is that it hadn't completely updated the DB so it didn't realize that all that space was music. Your situation sounds very similar.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had it happen because I unplugged my iPod without ejecting, all I had to do to recover is replug it in. My guess is that it hadn't completely updated the DB so it didn't realize that all that space was music. Your situation sounds very similar.

This is exactly what happened when I think about it. My system crashed when my ipod was connected and therefore wasn't ejected properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back