Other retro-styled headphones like Koss Portapros?
Nov 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jesda

New Head-Fier
I'm about to put an order in for a set of blue Koss Portapros. I got to sample them at Best Buy and am completely impressed by their comfort and rich sound.

p7295651n1.jpg

Are there any other headphones out there under $100 that have a distinctively 1980s look to them?

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Nov 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Grados. All Grados.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I've said to my friends that I want a pair of these, they've all insulted me for them being old looking ...

This must be the reason why headphones -- and electronics in general -- are getting uglier year after year. Take car stereos: with the exception of very high-end models they are getting so ugly they're painful to look at. Or maybe, I'm just getting old...

I sometimes suspect they are making old-looking stuff to attract the old guys just like they're making modernish-looking stuff for the young, sometimes "forgetting" about quality along the way. At any rate, given the same amount of sond quality, I'd always go for old-looking stuff. Especially '80s style.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This must be the reason why headphones -- and electronics in general -- are getting uglier year after year. Take car stereos: with the exception of very high-end models they are getting so ugly they're painful to look at. Or maybe, I'm just getting old...

I sometimes suspect they are making old-looking stuff to attract the old guys just like they're making modernish-looking stuff for the young, sometimes "forgetting" about quality along the way. At any rate, given the same amount of sond quality, I'd always go for old-looking stuff. Especially '80s style.

They're definitely getting worse. Many old tape-stereos in my friends' cars look much worse than my boyracer friends' headunits :\

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 9
The Panasonic RPHTX7 and the Audio Technica SQ-5 both look retro, but probably a bit sleeker than the Porta Pros...

I would say they a 'retro style' as opposed to looking like something that literally came out of the 1980's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back