Other Music Like the Boredoms
Nov 17, 2004 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rextrade

500+ Head-Fier
I've just got into the Boredoms recently (bought Pop Tatari and Super Ae) and I love this stuff. I never thought I would from the description of the band. Does anyone know any bands (Japanese or otherwise) that take a similar approach to music--I guess I mean using the studio as an instrument and making a lot of noise while still staying "musical". Thanks.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi Rextrade

Super Ae is one of my favourite albums. Great headphone listening too. Here are some ideas...

There are a lot of Boredoms side projects or other Japanese bands with Boredoms members in them. A few to look out for are ooioo, omoide hatoba and rovo. Might be hard to buy, but you can find them all on Soulseek if you are patient. Feather Float by ooioo is one of my favourite albums out of this bunch.

John Zorn's Naked City comes to mind. It's a crazy and scary jazz/metal album with lots of weirdness. Warning - listening to this through headphones may make your ears bleed. If you like this there are literally hundreds of John Zorn albums to explore.

I really like the San Francisco band Deerhoof. Less metal and more pop than the Boredoms but the same kind of crazy studio experimentation. My favourite is Reveille.

Supersilent are a Norweigian improvised metal group, with a jazz feel. Their album 6 is absolutely superb, sounds great through headphones and reminds me somewhat of Super Ae.

That should keep you going for a while...

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Rövö are excellent. Soaring, epic, psychedelic prog rock.

The only other band like the Boredoms that I can come up with is Boris, another Japanese band. They're a doom-metal band, but ... to call them such is to do them a great injustice, since they incorporate many, many, many other genres and are highly experimental. If you want some strange, bizarre, psychedelic, progressive, stoned-out underground experimental Japanese doom metal, pick up some Boris albums.

- Chris

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Great--thanks. I'll give these bands a listen.

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 7
I've got Super Ae. Vision Creation Newsun is another great Boredoms album.

You should try Acid Mothers Temple. They're sort of like the Boredoms, but noisier and more guitar oriented maybe. They seem to put out a new album every month. I have about 10 of them. I think their best ones are Univers zen ou de zero a zero, Live in Japan, Electric Heavyland, and La Novia.

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Definitely pick up "Vision Creation Newsun" and "Chocolate Synthesizer." If you want to go crazy, you can pick up their new album, "Seadrum/House of Sun," but current import prices (in the US) are pretty crazy.

Rovo are an amazing band. I would recommend starting with the "Tonic 2001" live album on Tzadik.

If you like the jazzy/noise rock side of the Boredoms, I would recommend picking up the Electric Masada album (there's only one and it may be filed under John Zorn at your local music shop). This is easily one of my favorite albums of the past year.

As for Acid Mothers Temple, they release a LOT of stuff and (from my experience) not all of it is good. I recommend "In C" from them.

Moving back in time, you can check out some of the early albums from Can. "Tago Mago" and "Future Days" are probably the most similar to Boredoms-style works.

If you can find it, Ween and the Boredoms released an album under the name Z-Rock Hawaii. If you're a Ween fan also, this is a must have. You might have to trawl Soulseek and Limewire for this one though.

Bless you for starting a Boredoms thread.

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by locust star
You should try Acid Mothers Temple. They're sort of like the Boredoms, but noisier and more guitar oriented maybe. They seem to put out a new album every month. I have about 10 of them. I think their best ones are Univers zen ou de zero a zero, Live in Japan, Electric Heavyland, and La Novia.

Yeah, AMT can be good, but they have absolutely ZERO quality control, which means every trashy, lame, crappy wank-fest that they've made is released as an album or EP. So you have to be very, very selective about what AMT you actually buy.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back