Other hobbies: Any coffee roasters here?
Jul 16, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 29
Only once, in a whirly-pop. I'd love to get an alpenroast and do it more often, but it's unfortunately just one more thing that I won't have time for.
frown.gif

I do grind on a per-cup basis though, and buy my coffee typically from a roaster in Concord who roasts what I like on a weekly schedule.

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 29
I have been roasting my own coffees for about a year now. I use the Hearthware i-Roast Coffee Roaster.

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 29
I go about a mile away to my local shop and they will roast any bean any way I want. I know that jp11801 roast his own beans. We are having a mini meet today so I hope to learn a bit more about roasting. It could be another excuse to buy a new toy. John, if you're out there, bring some freshly roasted beans to the meet.

Jul 16, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
Coffee gives me a stomach ache. I prefer guarana seed powder.

You likely had a very acidic variety. I suggest trying again with a milder bean - Colombian is a fairly mild one, and very decent tasting.

As to the thread, I've never tried roasting. Wanted to get into it, but it became one of those things you mean to try, but never do. Seeing's how I don't even have a burr grinder, though, I feel it rather pointless. Once I'm out on my own and have some time I may try it.

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 29
Many (but not all) of those who don't like coffee have never had a good cup. Another misconception is that strong coffee is nasty coffee. Coffee can be nasty for too many reasons. The coffee sold in cans at the grocery store is typically pretty nasty.

A fresh roasted grins with mostly, if not all, Arabica beans makes an excellent cup. The Robustas are frequently used as filler, and commercial stuff is pretty low-grade.

Side note on this discussion, for those who do roast their own:
Do you roast outside, or do you use an exhaust kit?
(Or is your machine so well filtered that you just run it indoors unvented?)

John: I had forgotten about the iRoast... much more feasible than the alpenroast. How long to roast a batch in that model? (Uh-oh, I'm going into justification mode)

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
John: I had forgotten about the iRoast... much more feasible than the alpenroast. How long to roast a batch in that model? (Uh-oh, I'm going into justification mode)

It is a small batch roaster and takes between 12-15 minutes with a 5 minute cool down cycle. I roast about 150 grams at a time, enough for several pots of coffee. I wait a day after roasting before I grind and then grind only what I will use immediately. Key to a good cup is also a good burr grinder for consistent ground size.

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 29
I pity the foos that think Starbucks is the last word in good coffee.

I've got a question for the coffee connoisseurs here... Are there certain types of coffee beans that have more health benefits than others (similar to how green tea has more antioxidants and is generally considered to be more beneficial for you)?

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
I had no idea you could 'Roast Your Own' Any accomplished roasters up for a basic Roasting 101 for us n00bs?
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.sweetmarias.com is a good place to start. They are selling green bean and roaster but it's have very good info overall and cover most of the popular option availible.

www.coffeegeek.com has a good forum if you want to ask question it's not that active but there are very knowlegeble people there.

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
http://www.sweetmarias.com is a good place to start. They are selling green bean and roaster but it's have very good info overall and cover most of the popular option availible.

www.coffeegeek.com has a good forum if you want to ask question it's not that active but there are very knowlegeble people there.

Thanks DanT - off for a look now!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back