Other hard-drive AAC players?
Nov 18, 2006 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Nano and all my files are in 128k AAC. I was thinking of getting something bigger, but if I get an Ipod I won't know what to do with the Nano. Also, I was thinking for long-term storage of my whole collection I might want something not tied to Apple and Itunes. Like, maybe something with a removable battery. Maybe a little cheaper than the Ipod ($250 or $180 refurb). I could use that for my collection and the Nano for Podcasts and whatever I want to carry around on a daily basis.

I need 20gb probably at most. I don't want to re-rip all my CDs. Are there any good hard-drive based players that play AAC files, other than the Ipod?

Nov 19, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 5
riker1384 says:
Quote:

I have a Nano and all my files are in 128k AAC. ... [L]ong-term storage of my whole collection I might want something not tied to Apple and Itunes.

I am a firm believer in either ripping lossless or in a high MP3 format. In either case you are not stuck to a particular brand of player. With lossless you can reconvert to ANY format. An MP3 encode will play on any dap.

Quote:

I was thinking of getting something bigger, but if I get an Ipod I won't know what to do with the Nano.

I will PM you my mailing address.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Maybe a little cheaper than the Ipod ($250 or $180 refurb).

I don't think there is anything much cheaper than a refurb iPod.

Quote:

20gb ... I don't want to re-rip all my CDs.

20 gb is NOTHING! Rip Lossless and then they are available to encode in any format.

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 5
the only other harddrive aac player thats widely available is the zune. unfortunately it uses the same built in battery as the ipod, is the same price, and forces you into microsoft's software.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 5
This may not relate to HD players (I can't think of an example), but be aware the AAC support on some flash based players doesn't necessary equate to MP4 wrapped AAC files you have from iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back