Other ear-fit rings compatible with CX 300?
Jul 9, 2006 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

audiodude

New Head-Fier
The problem with my Sennheiser CX 300 is that the smallest ear-fit rings are too small to get a decent fit with and the medium rings are too big for my ear canals. Does anybody know if other manufacturers offer rings that are compatible with the CX 300 and more comfortable?

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 6
The rings of Sony MDR71SL fits quite well with CX300 and slightly different in size too. I use a Sony ring with my new CX300. I don't know whether you can find them or not/ extra. If I can remember well I saw someone selling them in the sales section.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 6
Any from these companies work:
JVC
Audio-technica
Panasonic
Sharp
Creative
Sony
Shure (E2c/g only)

And other misc. that have similar earphones.

I would buy a pair from audio technica.
You should try larger sizes if you have not; it may not seem like it but larger sizes may possibly fit you better.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies so far.
But what about the comfort? Are there any rings that offer alot more comfort (e.g. that are softer) than the CX 300 rings? The medium sized ones are definitely too big, because I have the feeling they strangulate my blood-vessels after having worn them for a while.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a question regarding eartips/sleeves for IEMs. I previously used an EX71 and a HJE50. I liked the EX71 but the wires fell apart (grrr). When I got the HJE50, I didn't like the eartips at all (the sound quality was great), so I used my old EX71 eartips with the HJE50 and all was gravy...till I lost my player and earphones.

So I got a new player and tried out the OEM versions of the CX300 and EP630, but the tips were crackly and plasticky, and didn't provide enough isolation IMO. They reminded me of the HJE50's tips, which I didn't like at all. The EX71's tips, on the other hand, gave me an excellent seal - I could shove them in deep enough to block out just about any normal sound. I think it was because they were soft and rubbery and relatively large.

I'd really like to find a inner-earphone with a tip that's as good as the EX71's, because I don't want to buy that piece of crap again. Isolation's important to me because the trains here are really noisy. Would appreciate any suggestions for low-end canalphones/IEMs.

Also, if anyone's compared the OEM CX300s/EP630s to real ones, please give your opinion on them. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi Audiodude,

Comfort really depends on the size and shape of your ear canal. No one else can tell you what is comfortable and what is not because no one else has your ears. Your left and right ears might also differ enough that you might find yourself using different eartips on each ear. Personally, the medium Sony is most comfortable for me and I use it on CX300 as well as Ultimate Ears Super.fi and audio-technica CK-32. For you, I would recommend trying the audio-technica medium size because it has thinner walls despite the outer diameter being the same as the Sony and Sennheiser mediums. This should give you an extra bit of "comfort." I don't like them because they are too soft and are not efficient in transmitting bass into my ears, but that is for MY ears, not yours. They may be the ticket for you though.

As for seal and isolation... none of these earphones with dynamic-type drivers can give you true isolation. Dynamic drivers need a vent behind them, like a port on speaker cabinets, to compensate for the volume of air that moves inside their housings when the speaker moves in and out. Outside sound will travel into the ventilation holes and transmit through the driver's diaphragm into your ear canals. Without the ventilation, they will be very inefficient and will not produce a proper sound because the volume of air behind the drivers cannot move, thereby preventing the driver itself to move the way it was designed to. Yes, the eartips go into your ears and seal off your ear canal, but the drivers and the ventilation holes behind them allow sound to enter your ear canal, as well as allowing your music to leak out into the train you ride. So if you are looking for isolation, you should consider getting an earphone with armature-type drivers such as the Etymotics,Westones and Shures (excluding E2c), which do not need the ventilation and therefore isolate you from outside noise almost as much as a dedicated earplug. A note to consider though if you decide to stay with dynamic drivers: different manufacturers have different takes on the way they design the ventilation on their dynamic-type earphones. Sony has many, many vents, therefore offer isolation on the poor side of the scale. CX300 is little better in that respect. Look for the ventilation on your CX300s, it is a very smart design actually. Instead of making visible holes, they left a gap between the aluminum ring and the plastic dome, and placed the vents in there. Some audio-technicas and Panasonics have very very very small vent holes. For example the ATH-CK32 has only 1 pin-sized hole, yet is more efficient than Sony MDR-EX71. They designed them this way to obey a Japanese train-riding etiquette (to keep your music to yourself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back