Other brands/models that share the Grado sound?
Oct 7, 2022 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Honeybadgers

New Head-Fier
I'm a sparklehead.

That sounds weird.

Does anyone else have that absolutely dazzling, sparkly energy of Grado? I find myself only ever being recommended stuff that leans towards relaxed, neutral, or punchy, but damnit I'm a paramedic and I like things that scream high pitched obnoxious noises at me.

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm a sparklehead.

That sounds weird.

Does anyone else have that absolutely dazzling, sparkly energy of Grado? I find myself only ever being recommended stuff that leans towards relaxed, neutral, or punchy, but damnit I'm a paramedic and I like things that scream high pitched obnoxious noises at me.
Some Beyerdynamic and Ultrasone headphones will give you that euphoric shrillness you seek.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 13
The Audio Technica adh1000x has the best female vocals I've heard. They're tuned for upper mids and treble on them sounds great. The 600ohm dt990 has the highest peak I've ever heard. When gaming I jumped in my chair when a high pitched sound effect went off at the peak frequency.
I now have the Beyerdynamic T90 which is fun and bright but not killer, also the bass missing in the dt880 is there for fun. The DT770 250 ohm has some sparkle to it also.

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm a sparklehead.

That sounds weird.

@GREQ might be able to pull up some more suggestions..

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 13
@GREQ might be able to pull up some more suggestions..
Oh jeez... being put on this spot like this... so much pressure XD

I find that Grados are 'aggressive'.
Other 'aggressive' headphones I've found are:

Sennheiser HD800 - might not be as aggressive as you want though
Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm - very important to get this ohm rating for screaming razorblade treble
Hifiman HE-500 - it's neutral, but weirdly 'aggressive' all over the entire sound spectrum
Hyper X Cloud 2 - has some aggressive treble qualities, but the slightly boomy bass might drown it out completely
Qpad QH-85 - A variant of the original Hyper X Cloud, with pleather pads - VERY trebly stuff.

Vintage headphone suggestions:
Revox Synergy - this is (as far as I can tell) a custom tuned Beyerdyanmic DT990 OEM with INSANE treble - possibly the most treble I've ever heard.
Beyerdynamic DT880M - only if you got patience to find one, and $$$ to spare, they are trebly/neutral.

Not recommended but you might like it????(!!? - very big 'question mark' + a mountainous pinch of salt):
Technics EAH-T700 - Two absolutely insane peaks at 6 and 8kHz... sounds horrid to me :p

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 13
Oh jeez... being put on this spot like this... so much pressure XD

I find that Grados are 'aggressive'.
Other 'aggressive' headphones I've found are:

• Sennheiser HD800 - might not be as aggressive as you want though
• Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm - very important to get this ohm rating for screaming razorblade treble
• Hifiman HE-500 - it's neutral, but weirdly 'aggressive' all over the entire sound spectrum
• Hyper X Cloud 2 - has some aggressive treble qualities, but the slightly boomy bass might drown it out completely
• Qpad QH-85 - A variant of the original Hyper X Cloud, with pleather pads - VERY trebly stuff.

Vintage headphone suggestions:
• Revox Synergy - this is (as far as I can tell) a custom tuned Beyerdyanmic DT990 OEM with INSANE treble - possibly the most treble I've ever heard.
• Beyerdynamic DT880M - only if you got patience to find one, and $$$ to spare, they are trebly/neutral.

Not recommended but you might like it????(!!? - very big 'question mark' + a mountainous pinch of salt):
• Technics EAH-T700 - Two absolutely insane peaks at 6 and 8kHz... sounds horrid to me :p

See.. I knew you have it in you, you encyclopedia you :grin:

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 13
OH, and I just remembered one more...

Pioneer SE-MASTER1 - This one of all things might actually the closest to Grados... I just didn't think of it, because people seem to hate it and it costs megabux.
I actually quite liked it when I auditioned it :)

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 13
Pioneer SE-MASTER1

I went and checked, apparently this is the frequency response graph for those:

1667239404045.png

At least they're honest about it? Yeesh.

I have a Sony MDR-CD2000 coming in in the next couple weeks, I'll report back in here with some impressions but apparently these have quite the sharp treble, from what I've read online and some impressions as well, so it might fit the bill too if you can find one.

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 13
Audio Technica ATH-AWAS, might be even more bass light though if that's an issue

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 13
So I have got the Sony MDR-CD2000 for a couple days now, going from my memory of the couple of Grados I have tried (SR60, SR125), I would say that the CD2000 is perhaps a bit less sparkly, with similar high-end detail nonetheless. Tuning in the higher frequencies is comparable though, in my mind the Grados are perhaps a tad sharper. The biggest difference is that the CD2000s have more present sub-bass compared to the Grados. One cool thing is that they are also open-back so you do find a common ground there in terms of sound stage which is quite wide. The CD2000s are also much more comfortable as stock than the stock pads on Grados, though I guess most people who own Grados have pad-swapped them.

All in all a bit of a different flavor but I think you could enjoy them nonetheless, I would recommend you try a pair out if you can find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back