(OT) Vista Ultimate installation question
May 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Don't know where to post this question. Hoping you computer-savvy youngsters can point me to the right direction.

I have a fairly new desktop computer that I had just purchased from HP about 6 months ago. It came with Vista Home Edition preinstalled. I just received a copy of the Vista Ultimate (directly from Microsoft, so it's legit)

According to Microsoft's website, I should have two options to either install the update version which would keep all my existing applications intact, or completely install it from scratch which would wipe out all my existing applications. When I pop the DVD into the computer, it is not allowing me to select the "update" option, so the only thing I can do is to install full, which is what I don't want to do.

Anyone here can help with this issue? Point me to some forum out there to get some answers to these type of IT questions?

Not sure if it makes any difference. But current version is 32-bit, and The Ultimate allows you to upgrade to both 32-bit or 64-bit. I was planning to upgrade to the 32-bit.

May 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 4
My guess is that your computer shipped with Vista Home Premium SP1, and your Vista installation disc does not have the service pack. In this case, you can't perform an upgrade installation. Your options would basically be to clean install Vista Ultimate from your installation disc, or slipstream the installation disc to build SP1 into a new installation DVD.

May 14, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you! Thank you! You are correct. My wife was working with Microsoft for a while. So she was getting all these goodies. They gave her a full copy of Office Ultimate and Vista Ultimate last year. I was hoping to install it onto my computer.

Maybe I'll ask Microsoft to see if they would give me a copy with built-in SP1......

May 14, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 4
No problem. The matter of slipstreaming Vista with SP1 isn't very difficult. Of course if you want to upgrade to Ultimate, you will need to be sure that you can use the license key provided with your installation media. You could make the new DVD and try the upgrade, and if, for whatever reason, you can't go ahead with it, you can always delete the Vista and SP1 installation files that you would have copied to your hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back