OT: I just got a Fisher!
Dec 27, 2002 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

erix

500+ Head-Fier
A freind gifted me a non-working X-100 integrated amp.

TOO COOL!!

Time to talk to Doc Fisher!

ok,
where's-the-headphone-jack-on-this-thing-erix

Dec 27, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by erix
A freind gifted me a non-working X-100 integrated amp.

TOO COOL!!

Time to talk to Doc Fisher!

ok,
where's-the-headphone-jack-on-this-thing-erix

Congratulations, erix on your new toy!
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the headphone jack.........there is none.
frown.gif

You'll have to use the ASL thingie or use some resistors off the speaker taps as described on HeadWize.

Dec 27, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Congradulation!! Fisher X1000 is a great integrated amp . My friend got one several months ago and he also asked Fisher Doc to send him the kit. After he replaced the caps with the caps he got from Fisher Doc, the sound was better. However the caps from Fisher Doc are not the best quality caps available. My friend was not quite satisfied, so he replaced all mylar caps by Auricaps and electrolytic caps by Blackgate caps. He told me that the sound improvement was so significant after recap. Being encouraged by his experience, I decided to replace the caps in my Fisher 500C which was restored by FIsher Doc. I haven't finished the job yet and only replaced half of them, but the sound improvement is already quite significant. There are more details in the high frequeny. More bass, and yet less booming. The resolution is better. The amp sounds relaxed and fast. I am very happy with the result and can't wait to replace the rest of the caps. The sound should improve even more after the burn-in of the caps. So my advice is that if you can get the schematic of X1000, and if you are interested to improve the performance of your X1000 to its full potential, you should buy best quality caps from the beginning. I don't know what else is also contained in the kit. If the kit only contains caps, maybe you would like to order Auricaps and Blackgate instead of the kit. If there is something other than caps in the kit, maybe you can ask if Fisher Doc would sell them seperately.

As to the headphone jack, it seems that there are two types of X1000. One of them is yours that has no headphone jack on the front panel, the other one has two headphone jacks on the front panel. Yours is the same as my friend's. When we studied the schematic of the amp, we found that there should be an "earphone jack" on the rear panel according to the schematic. However, we could only see holes for the earphone jack on the rear panel, but no earphone jack at all. So my friend bought some cheap headphone jack, caps, and resistors from RadioShack. He installed the jack as the schematic indicated. I didn't have the chance to listen to it, but he told me the sound wasn't very good. We don't know if it is due to the cheap parts he used or the caps not having enough breakin time. If you want to add headphone jack to your X1000, this is some alternative approach you can try. You might want to use good parts to have a better result than my friend did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 18
Cool, another Fisher club member!
Al, “The Fisher Doctor” and Paul “Bizzy-Bee” use average low cost caps in the restoration kits. The first kit I got from Paul made me think I was getting ripped off. After seeing the quality of the instructions and understanding that he used the caps to “voice” the amp section to reproduce the original vintage sound I knew a lot of thought went into the parts selection.
However, I had Paul totally rebuild a Fisher FM100B tuner. Throughout the tuner he must have installed 20 Auricaps!

Dec 28, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 18
Interesting. Do you stay with the original sound or start tweaking?
My Fisher 400 finally came and it was not in "very good" condition.
This is restopak material. But hey, at least it powers up and works.
If you go with better caps, do you use the exact same values? I may not do it to the 400, but may try it on the X100.
md

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 18
Most of the caps I used have exactly the same values. Very few of them have different values because I was not able to find caps with exactly the same values, yet they are still very close to the original cap values. For instance, I replaced one 2uf cap by 2.2 uf, 0.5 uf by 0.47 uf. Actually before I recap, I found that Fisher Doc used a 10uf cap to replace an 8uf cap in my 500C. So I think a little off from the exact value should not be a big deal.

Dec 28, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 18
I just opened 'er up...

First thing I notice is a broken wire connection from the PT to the power switch - think that's why it stopped working?
biggrin.gif

I only saw a few film caps in there but tons of ceramics.

I'm thinking of replacing all the film-types with 716P Orange Drops. There is one dry electrolytic inside and the two multi-sections on the top.

I'm curious as to the make up of the kit your friend bought - was it 9 film caps and a 'lytic?

Got a source for knobs?
wink.gif

ok,
erix

Dec 29, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 18
I am not quite sure about the content of my friend's kit, I think it has more caps than that. As to the knob, you can ask Al (Fisher Doc). I think he also sells the brass knobs for Fisher machines.

Dec 29, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 18
Congrats Erix...and welcome to the club.

I'm still waiting on my resto-pack, but I can't start working on mine until January anyway. I'm also thinking that I'm going to have to do a MAJOR cleaning of all connectors, especially some of those in the tubed section.

Let me know how things progress

Dec 29, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 18
I've given thought to picking up and restoring a Fisher reciever/int amp, is this diccicult for a relative newbie to electronics? I was going to try gettting a functioning 400 or Int amp. Something to get me started in the wonderful world of tube sound.

Dec 29, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 18
They're rather complex. I'd start with either a preamp or an power amp, and I'd probably start with something a bit more stripped down and user-friendly than a Fisher. Maybe try a Dynaco PAS-x first - there's a ton on info on them, including the original kit instructions. But if you want to go for it with a Fisher, by all means try. (But maybe get a unit with bad cosmetics so you don't needlessly reduce the pool.
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 29, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 18
I was also looking at the Bottlehead Foreplay, lots of support and it didn't look TOO complex. Also seems to have a nice upgrade path as well for people who like to tweak
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 18
scottder;
I highly recommend the Foreplay preamp kit to someone who is starting out DIY tube electronics. Building a Foreplay will give you good soldering skills and an outstanding preamp.

Yea, I agree with zowie the Fisher receivers are complex, I did two 500C's and had my hands full. Also Al can be very SLOW however I had no problems with him at all.
IMO start with a Fisher preamp. Get a Resto-Pack from Al it comes with fantastic instructions!
Good luck.........Dan
PS Replace the power cord with a good quality cable! This is a major upgrade you can hear. Also safer.

Dec 29, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 18
Installing the Fisher Doc or other upgrades in the Fisher tube gear is not very difficult if you have ever done any soldering of electronics.

You will need a decent soldering pen, not a soldering gun, of 25 to 40 watts, with a long narrow tip to be able to reach some of the solder connections.

A digital multimeter to help check continuity of your solder connections. Even an inexpensive one will work for this.

You need to be able to minimally read a schematic diagram, to follow some of the circuit wiring that leads to the parts that must be replaced. Most of the parts are readily located, a few will try your patience as you hunt around for them in the circuit wiring.

When you remove the bottom cover, you will be working around electrolytic capacitors and coupling capacitors that store high voltage (450 volt) charges. Before beginning work, unplug the unit. Be sure these have been discharged.

To be sure the capacitors have been discharged, do this yourself with a pair of wire leads with clips, a 100 ohm 5 watt resistor or similar, connnected to a small screwdriver. Ground one lead wire to the chassis and connect the other end of the lead to one side of the resistor, the other lead goes from the other side of the resistor to the screwdriver shaft. Briefly touch all capacitor leads with the screwdriver, for a few seconds. Be sure to get the hot leads of the multi-section capacitors. Touch everything twice, just to be sure. Now you can safely work inside the chassis with no danger of getting shocked.

The restoration tasks are broken down into logical steps. Approach each one as a separate upgrade, and don't try and do it all in one session.

Resistors are not polarized, it does not matter which way they are installed, end to end. Diodes, rectifiers, and most electolytic capacitors and some other capacitor types are polarized. You absolutely have to know which is the + and which is - on these components before your install them in their correct locations.

Failure to properly orient one of these polarized components will result in destroying the component, they may even explode, and may further damage other parts of the unit. Be sure you know what you are doing, double check if you have any doubt before proceeding.

The best way to learn is by example. If possible, get a good look at the inside of a similar Fisher unit that has been restored, so you can see where the affected parts are inside the chassis. If one is not available, then try and get some digital photos with suitable closeups to see the parts before and after installation.

Check out Phil's Old Radios site. He has generously provided some good photos of the various stages of restoration he performed on a Fisher 800B receiver. The details for a Fisher 400 or 500C will be slightly different, but you can get a pretty good idea of where the various parts reside and what this looks like once the parts have been replaced. Go to the Radio Directory, and under the letter "F" you will find Phil's aricles on restoring the Fisher 400 and 800B. He provides really good photos on installing various needed upgrades in the 800B article.

http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

As you will be able to see from Phil's photos, these Fisher units use point-to-point wiring for most connections, generally no printed circuit (PC) boards. This is actually easier to work with and more forgiving than soldering on PC board.

Vintage Dynaco tube gear, in comparison, have PC boards that were pretty flimsy when new and have become even more fragile with age. Also, these units have fragile solid core wiring and the PC boards have very thin solder traces that can easily be damaged. So unless you are replacing all of the PC boards and wiring in a Dynaco PAS preamp or ST-70 power amp, attempting any more soldering on these old boards than absolutely necessary is not recommended for the novice.

I'm not sure why you would want to use a PAS preamp, as it has not provision to drive headphones. The PAS-2 or PAS-3 preamp coupled with the ST-35 or ST-70 power amp would be an interesting headphone amplifier combination.

The Dynaco SCA-35 is an all-tube integrated amplifier that uses 12AX7 for the phono stage preamp, 7199 driver tubes, and a quad of EL84 (6BQ5) power tubes for 17 watts per channel into 8 or 16 ohms. I recently purchased a Dynaco SCA-35 to see how it would perform as a headphone amplifier. I will post an update when I have received this item and have a chance to try it out with various headphones. The SCA-35 did not come with a headphone jack, but there is a mounting hole in the rear of the chassis to install one, and the assembly guide/owners manual details how this should be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back