OSX Questions
May 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I hope this thread will be a FAQ for anyone who just convert to mac and need to ask some questions. I'll start with mine:

Let's say I have this folder structures
Home\Pics\People\ABC
when I search and open directly to folder ABC in finder, How do I go to the previous folder (people, pics) beside having to change the view in column?

May 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 10
There are 'back' and 'forward' buttons in the finder window. Top left corner under the 'close/minimize/zoom' buttons on the menu bar. You can also right click on the folder icon on the menu bar (to the right of the folder name) and get the folder hierarchy.

Sometimes I do wish there were an 'Up' button like there is in Windows Explorer or that pressing the backspace key would be a shortcut for 'Back' as in Windows (though I guess I could do this by assigning a shortcut in System Preferences--will have to look into that).

If you are new to OS X, pick up this book: Amazon.com: Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual: David Pogue: Books. It can be a little basic if you are a long time computer user familiar with Windows or any other GUI based OS but it does contain all of the shortcuts that can be hard to find (like right clicking on the folder icon to get the hierarchy).

May 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 10
Hold down the command/Apple key and click on the window title. You can also, from the View menu, select "Customise Toolbar" and add a "path" menu at the top. As well, there's an option in the view menu for "Show path bar".

May 8, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 10
I would recommend downloading Quicksilver. It's quite an amazing program. With a simple keyboard shortcut, you can use it to: search for files/folders, open web-pages, send emails, open programs, move files, eject drives, and many more that I don't even know. It may seem confusing at first, but you will soon learn to love it.

May 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I hope this thread will be a FAQ for anyone who just convert to mac and need to ask some questions. I'll start with mine:

Let's say I have this folder structures
Home\Pics\People\ABC
when I search and open directly to folder ABC in finder, How do I go to the previous folder (people, pics) beside having to change the view in column?

Command + ↑ (up-arrow)
If I did understand your question correctly that is...

May 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend downloading Quicksilver. It's quite an amazing program. With a simple keyboard shortcut, you can use it to: search for files/folders, open web-pages, send emails, open programs, move files, eject drives, and many more that I don't even know. It may seem confusing at first, but you will soon learn to love it.

You know, when I see people recommending QS, I wonder how long they've been using OS X. Actually, to me, it means they are a long time user. I joined the fun with Leopard and I honestly don't see any advantage to QS over Spotlight and I think people who use and recommend QS started using it before Spotlight existed with 10.4 and have never really given Spotlight chance. In fact, I like Spotlight a little better because it doesn't lengthen boot time and I can do dictionary look ups with it and it's faster when used to open a specific folder in the Finder.

May 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1 on quicksilver, but spotlight might be enough for him.

May 10, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Command + ↑ (up-arrow)
If I did understand your question correctly that is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold down the command/Apple key and click on the window title. You can also, from the View menu, select "Customise Toolbar" and add a "path" menu at the top. As well, there's an option in the view menu for "Show path bar".

Thank's guys, that's what I'm looking for.

I've tried Quicksilver, it's just not for me.

May 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Just happy to share knowledge!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back