OSK, Sig Gen, optional: SpecAnalyzer...
Jan 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TzeYang

500+ Head-Fier
Okay first and foremost I don't live in the U.S.. My country is quite a headache when it comes to the availability of such equipments at the individual consumer level. So nothing too exotic for me. I'm not experienced enough to know my needs and I certainly do not know any person of the same level that is in the same hobby to know what to get.

I asked a friend who just went to Australia and he said to get a good Tektronik digital scope and a GWInstek Signal gen. There are a lot to choose from the list and it's even harder to match the needs to the seemingly bizarre, almost unknown prices running in my country. So I'd rather just know my needs and then worry about the price and money later.
frown.gif

I'm going into discrete level amplifiers and power supplies and I know pspice is a horrible tool when it comes to predicting real life stability. I hate to overcompensate for no good reason too. Which is why I need the tools(mentioned in title) to fit the following:

-able to measure and cure real life oscillations and stability issues and making sure that the amplifier is completely stable towards the MHz range.
-good accuracy for audio use.
-able to use the tools and design an amplifier/power supply from using pen/paper, abit of simulations for tweaking, and complete it real life.
-SpecAnalyzer for the sake of measuring real life FFT but I think it's a bit optional since I get some real life THD/IMD performance data out from RMAA too.
-I'd personally be very happy if all these tools will produce me a solid beta22 level amplifier in near future.
redface.gif

Gut tells me i absolutely need a good OSK and a reliable Sig Gen. So what is good for my budget of around 2-3k USD? (<---I'm a student so please spare me the diy spirit of corrupting the budget into something even more expensive) Also if the budget seems abit too low or high let me know since I don't know how the price runs in the US. I'd just like to get some information on the purchasing trends of similar folks like me.

THANKS.

P.S. Saw some digital all-in-one machines for all the mentioned tasks. I think one of it is a HandyScope HS4 from TiePie Engineering. Do you think it's good enough for my intentions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back