Oscar predictions
Jan 27, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
1. Best Actor-- Jaimee Foxx, "Ray". Doesn't deserve it, but will win.

He deserves it. Brilliant portrayal. I don't think it's a given that he'll win either.

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Why was Mel Gibson/Passion of Christ completely absent from any of the top award catagories?

Didn't see movie but was one of the biggest box office sales in movie history and most critics were very positive in praising movie.

Has Mel been blacklisted?
Perhaps the movie just wasn't that good but I suspect there is more to it.......who has the inside scoop?

Alot of industry people thought it was "anti-semitic" so in that aspect Mel's blacklisted. I liked "The Passion".

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
hmm, don't tell me Ron Burgundy wasn't the funniest deadpan Will Farrell character ever. give it to a comedian!

i would have to agree. heres some memorable lines:

"Mr. Burgundy, you have a massive erection."

"Its called the Sex Panther. It works all the time, 40% of the time."

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #19 of 27
My thoughts on "The Passion": keep in mind that Mel Gibson himself refused to do any sort of Oscar promotion for this picture, which is necessary for a film to be seriously considered for major awards.

I think some conservative commentators go overboard when they say Hollywood is anti-Christian because "The Passion" didn't get any major catagory nominations. This isn't an uplifting, feel-good movie; it forces you to see the depths of human depravity and the noble reaction of the object of Rome's hatred. There are no handy cuts to rising suns and beautiful scenery to blunt the impact of seeing how bullies treat those that do not shrink from their anger. If example of the suffering of Jesus has no context in your life, and you have no genuine understanding of what the crucifixtion story means, then the film will certainly seem pointless and overwrought.

In my opinion, if you don't 'get' the film, you aren't anti-Christian, you're just non-Christian. This includes people who call themselves Christian but didn't like or 'get' the movie.

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
My thoughts on "The Passion": keep in mind that Mel Gibson himself refused to do any sort of Oscar promotion for this picture, which is necessary for a film to be seriously considered for major awards.

I think some conservative commentators go overboard when they say Hollywood is anti-Christian because "The Passion" didn't get any major catagory nominations. This isn't an uplifting, feel-good movie; it forces you to see the depths of human depravity and the noble reaction of the object of Rome's hatred. There are no handy cuts to rising suns and beautiful scenery to blunt the impact of seeing how bullies treat those that do not shrink from their anger. If example of the suffering of Jesus has no context in your life, and you have no genuine understanding of what the crucifixtion story means, then the film will certainly seem pointless and overwrought.

In my opinion, if you don't 'get' the film, you aren't anti-Christian, you're just non-Christian. This includes people who call themselves Christian but didn't like or 'get' the movie.

very well put.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #22 of 27
I don't know. The Oscars is sort of the "original awards show". The ceremony is going on 80 years old, having begun in 1927. Most people get teary-eyed about centennials, so I think the Oscars should be awarded a certain respect for 8 decades of longevity. The grammys, by comparision, are around 46. My feeling is, who gives *uck about the Superbowl? A bunch of thyroid cases beating the piss out of each other. Lets talk meaningless.

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Maybe because it is in Aramaic and is so incredibly bloody that most audiences walk out numb rather than uplifted? I haven't seen a single critical review that is favorable to The Passion. I've seen a lot of endorsements from religious sites, but no real critical acclaim.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/passion_of_the_christ/

There's 122 favorable reviews from critics. Looks like they were split pretty evenly.

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #24 of 27
Actually it has a "rotten" rating. Just racked up money from controversiality and hype. I just kept thinking about the end of "Braveheart" (which I thought was a load of action/love story/hooey) and Gibson's fondess for gore. I figure Jesus just got the same treatment. At least he didn't get off the cross and shout "Freedom!"

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
...Just racked up money from controversiality and hype...

... or believers

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Why was Mel Gibson/Passion of Christ completely absent from any of the top award catagories?

Didn't see movie but was one of the biggest box office sales in movie history and most critics were very positive in praising movie.

Has Mel been blacklisted?
Perhaps the movie just wasn't that good but I suspect there is more to it.......who has the inside scoop?

It could very well have to do with percieved anti-semitism, but I personally didn't think it was a very good film. It had some decent cinematography, but nothing extrodinary. Gibson went a bit overboard with the slow-motion effects. I know I'll get crap for this, but I didn't think the person who played Jesus did a very good job. His "suffering" wasn't very believable to me in many parts - it felt forced. And there were touches that pushed the violence over the top and even caused me to laugh in one part (the crow at the end).

Frankly it seemed like a high budget made-for-tv movie. Subject matter should not be a carte blanche at awards ceremonies.

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #27 of 27
I saw the Passion of Christ, it had just as much gore as an European Horror movie. The anti-semitism was really over the top, it's impossible not to notice if you watch the movie, maybe even more so if you are non-Christian or if you are Jewish.

While it wins the award for the goriest Jesus movie ever, it's not the best, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back