OS X status bar
Jan 9, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AVPqNMVcQ.jpg

And suddenly windows feels so right.

yes. i'm not understanding the point of this thread at all.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IBTL?

4258526922_fda4833bf7_o.png

..and what are they?

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 24
Re: Fonts. I've been using OS X and Debian for about 10 years now, but I do prefer ClearType to OS X's font rendering. I often preferred Linux font rendering in a terminal to OS X, in fact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! They only added another bar that is thick and full of color, and doesn't handle multiple instances of the same program good at all. It looks good, but it's not as smart as the windows taskbar.

ITT: Flamewar

I used windows from the late 80s to 2000. I recall being annoyed by the taskbar icons, since they were of fixed horizontal width and difficult to get a lot of information from. Sure, you could hover your mouse cursor over them to get tooltip information, but that defeats the purpose of quick glance up to see if something's maxing out your CPU or grabbed a huge chunk of memory. I'm sure this class of utilities exists on Windows.

Also, I recall in Windows taskbar the frustration of not knowing which icons would be auto-hid and which ones would always remain. If this can be set somewhere, that would be a nice feature.

On the issue for OS X, it would be great to see a well-done third party utility or perhaps a built-in that allowed some organization/collapse of this bar. Another problem with a lot of status bar stuff is that for obscenely long menu bar options (Lookin' at you, Office), it could lead to some funny overlap problems on smaller screens.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I recall in Windows taskbar the frustration of not knowing which icons would be auto-hid and which ones would always remain. If this can be set somewhere, that would be a nice feature.

That feature has been in Windows since XP as far as I know. I don't know about earlier versions. And I don't understand what you mean with lack of information, in my taskbar I can see that I'm playing a dvd using mpchc and browsing head-fi in firefox. I see the icon of the application, and the text tells me what I do in that application. And in windows 7 you can have a more "dock-like" setting.
win7-taskbar.jpg

qWDentKWY.jpg

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #23 of 24
i can't believe you guys don't have gimmesometune. you should check it out. it puts a play/pause next/prev in that status bar PLUSSSS you can make it so that when you play a song, it checks if the lyrics part of the info of the song contains anything, and if it doesn't, it automatically puts the lyrics there. add that with desktop lyrics, and all the lyrics for whatever song you're playing are automatically displayed on your wallpaper (over it).

this is for itunes only. great duet of apps though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back