OS X - Software Crossfeed (JRiver or Plug-in for Audirvana)
Apr 22, 2017 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

martyp87

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

So I have switched back to the Mac after the dust has settled on the MBP 2016 model and with work returning to a sane level (for now) am experimenting with various players.

My previous setup was a Dell XPS > Oppa HA1 / Mojo DAC using TIDAL or iTunes for playback. 

Last week I purchased Thriller on DSD to check it out and as a result downloaded JRiver MC22 to actually playback the file as iTunes doesn't read them. Upon opening the options menu I was impressed with the options available with the most notable feature being Crossfade.

I plugged in my HD800S and tried various levels with different songs and totally fell in love with it. I always wanted to try out this feature but the cost of the Hugo as a mobile DAC/amp was just too significant over the Mojo so I lost out. 

Now, I got round to setting the Mac up and downloaded trials of both JRiver MC22 and Audirvana Plus to pick one.

Audirvana Plus - I absolutely love this player. Standalone, combining my iTunes library and Tidal in one app is simply brilliant, the UI is slick and on point. Also like the fact I can have it run in the background and simply use iTunes as normal if I wish to.  The killer is the lack of a crossfeed feature. 

JRiver MC22 - The only reason I would use this is for the crossfeed plug-in when using my HD800S or SE846s.  I don't like the UI, most of the time at a desk I use my studio monitors for music playback. 

Is there a plug-in available to add Crossfeed to Audirvana so I can just settle with this as my default player/transport as the interface and all other features I need and want are there. 

TL:DR; Is there a good crossfeed plug-in available for Audirvana Plus (free or commercial) or should I just purchase JRiver MC22 for this feature and make do with UI.

Thank you in advance. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Okay, so I have now discovered the Goodhertz CanOpener AU plugin for OS X and so far, along with Audirava this seems to be the perfect combination so far.

If there are any other recommendations for other AU plug-ins please let me know or I will purchase CanOpener before the trial runs out in 15 days. 

Thanks!

May 27, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 6
I have A+ with CanOpener Studio and can say that it works much better than the BS2B based algorithms (which I've tried in two different forms already - including the link above) for these reasons:
  • Infinitely more natural sounding - you can adjust the width of the "Phantom Center" image so to speak so that all the instruments dance above and ever so slightly forward without any "gaps" in the stage.
  • There is an option to perfectly balance the spectral frequency response so you don't get the bloated bass of traditional crossfeed systems
  • It maintains a true "stereo" feel despite headphones being binaural - You don't shrink the imaging, rather pull it out of head and cut down on the crazy binaural separation and nasty hard panned instruments that just don't sound natural
Overall, it's very well done crossfeed. I couldn't imaging going back to regular listening after having become accustomed it. You have to get acquainted with it to truly appreciate what it's doing. Some people have been quick to dismiss it as "not doing very much" - well that's the whole point - it only does what's necessary to keep hard panned or modulated instruments more coherent. And it does this in spades.

Try doing an A/B with a hard panned drum kit while the drummer is ripping down his rack and floor toms - then tell me it's not doing very much.

May 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I've never been a fan of crossfeed. However here's another free one.

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/virtual-studio.html - this is more pitched at producers needing to use headphones in place of proper monitors.

Also the VOX player, which is for the most part free, offers inbuilt BS2B crossfeed.

I just tried that beyer plugin - maybe from an effect standpoint, it's cool - but for critical listening and retaining the album dynamics it's not so good I feel. It also doesn't have a trim level setting or any other settings for that matter. You just get "it" - like it or not. Again, this was a "not" for me.

Still, a good suggestion since I'd never heard of it, so thanks! The post was helpful indeed. Always love trying new things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back