ORTOFON EQ7 BURN IN?
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jazzfish

New Head-Fier
So I got myself a pair of beautiful red EQ7s after some tests in Yodobashi Japan last month, I liked its fat mids and how it seemed to reproduce the natural timbres of certain instruments eg saxophones,snare drums etc

anyway fast forward to today after receiving it in the mail, my initial impressions seem somewhat different from the wow experience I had.

In particular, I couldnt feel much of the bass drum kicks (not much movement of air) and the mids feel sibilant and overly 'bright' for lack of better word.
Hence, treble wise I'm content. Mids are pretty forward which is good but 'bright' 'coarse' and 'sibilant' and bass kicks are comparatively light.    I'm coming from 3 months of GR07 use.

Question is do these phones 'warm' after some time? Will I get better bass in time? Should I give some time for my brain/ears to adjust to the sound?

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 3
hi Jazzfish,

The eq7 is an amazing pair of iem! However, I had the same impression as you did when I first got it. Burn-in didn't make too much of a difference for me, but I soon found out that it was the in-line volume control/attenuator that I was using with my ipod. Apparently, the extra impedance of the attenuator just kills the bass for the eq7. Other times, I find it greatly dependent on the source (file). I hope this helps.

btw, be gentle to the strain relief, it's extremely fragile.

-nt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back