orthodynamic driver for diy project
Dec 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tuxgeek

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I'm looking for a relative cheap way of making my own orthodynamic headphone. I just bought a vintage Audio-Technica AT 702 pair of headphones that I want to use. Love the shape!
Don't have any idea where to find good quality orthodynamic drivers that would fit.

Who can give me a clue where to find/get them?

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know anything about diy headphone projects. But I do know that the ortho drivers from the Fostex T50rp seem to be the most popular choice for modders. That might give you a place to start and hopefully leads you in a direction that can give you some more specific answers.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 5
All things orthodynamic (and the people that know about it) can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup

I can tell you that once upon a time there used to be some raw surplus planar drivers available that were popular for DIY projects. However, the source for those drivers dried-up several years ago. Since then, the ortho guys either start with the Fostex T50RP, or with one of the vintage ortho headphones from Yamaha, Fostex, some old Soviet era Russian 'phones and others.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Can you use a SFI tweeter?

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
SFI was the previous source of the drivers. However, I thought they stopped making the 32 ohm version that would be appropriate for headphones. A tweeter that is 8 ohms isn't going to work well unless you have an amp with a nearly zero output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back