Apr 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #16 of 189
you said 21x11 cm?? ... catastrophy ^^

have monsoon made something smaller?

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #17 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brestinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you said 21x11 cm?? ... catastrophy ^^

have monsoon made something smaller?

I think the MM-1000 was a tad smaller, but not a huge difference.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 189
Unless you post with it on, it doesn't count
wink.gif

I used full size dynamic speakers for mine. 4 inch cones.

Phonodome%20Mk1.JPG

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 189
Songistix did make a smaller version. Look for the MH-500 and 502. There's a 5.1 version called the 505. These used a smaller isodynamic driver, but the magnets are big and fat and heavy, plus they're offset from one another, an older design that's not as good. Still, you can sometimes find the planar drivers sold by themselves if you want to experiment.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 189
mag_8.jpg

Ok so I bought a pair of Magnepan MG-IIAs recently, an due to their age I need to repair them. However taking them apart and examining the construction... wouldn't this make for an extremely simple headphone driver? Mylar, small but conductive wires bonded to the mylar, attaching the mylar to a frame with a grid of powerful magnets behind. The hard parts would be figuring out the optimal tensile strength, cups, and ear pads. For a more exotic setup maybe a separate small section in the middle of the driver that is tenser for high frequency duty...

After rebuilding my new maggies... maybe this would be worth a try?

If some more info is needed regarding how these planar magnetic drivers work, lookup magnepan.

*Edit* The monsoon speakers look like they use ribbons instead of planar magnetics.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #24 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you post with it on, it doesn't count
wink.gif

Ok guys, lots of people asked for it. So I might consider posting a picture with my big "babies" around my head IF there is more than 150 replies from different users.
But I warn you, it will probably end up on thiswillshockyou.com
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #30 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dew eeet

on a side note, amb's appreciation thread took a few days before it got a few hundred posts, can't you make the requirements at least a bit easier?
tongue.gif

Easier? I'm already getting worried...
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back