Oritek OMZ price increase
Jun 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it is true, but someone mentioned to me that he OMZ upgrade on its own costs more than a complete Beresford including delivery. Anyone know if that is true?
I also don't see many people modding their Beresford but I would be interested to know how some of the simple mods I have done on my Beresford, such as the opamp bypass mod, compares against the zapfilter or the OMZ mods in terms of sound quality improvement.
My bypass mod is just the cost of two capacitors to block the DC component in the signal from the DAC chip audio output direct.

Here you go again, backhandedly bashing Oritek, while at the same time shilling your beloved Beresford...don't act all innocent and "gee guys, is this true?"...

The mod itself does not cost more than the stock Zhaolu, however the finished product, which basically shares very few things in common with the stock DOES cost more than the Beresford. Even twice that...so what? What you get with Ori is honest answers to your questions, not wildly inaccurate and ridiculous claims that it's optimized for mp3, etc. Ori's mods do not cost much more than buying a Zhaolu, buying a Zapfilter, and spending two days or so doing it all yourself.

For those actually interested, and not here with hidden agendas, Ori's main contribution to the DAC is a fully discrete output stage, with DC servo. He doesn't just bypass the opamps, he removes much from the board, builds a completely separate output:
D25_PCB.jpg

In addition to that, the micro-controller and oscillator is removed, along with any noise-causing LEDs and buttons, dramatically lowering the noise floor. He adds a torroidal transformer to the digital coax input, replaces the stock cheap RCA jacks with nice solid high quality ones, and replaces the front face plate. There's also a few other steps, like adding a damping treatment to the main caps to reduce vibration/hum/distortion (not really sure if this does much in my opinion, but Ori's the one who has spent countless hours fine tuning and tweaking the DAC, so...).

Yes, the DAC costs more, but you're getting something that has been hand built, modified, tested, finished, and tested again by an experienced electrical engineer who is dedicated to doing this sort of thing right. You get open and honest dialog with Ori, you get to audition the DAC prior to purchase, you do not get pressured into chosing the OMZ over anything else (Ori prefers that you hear it before buying, and encourages you to bring anything you want to A/B against it...he has nothing to hide). What you don't get is a repackaged product masquerading as something from England, drop-shipped from Asia.

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #32 of 49
The OMZ is vastly superior to any passive mod, you can however DIY and save a lot of money using that Ultranalog circuit, Ray's circuit, or a scaled down Nelson Pass CCS-BOSOZ.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go again, backhandedly bashing Oritek, while at the same time shilling your beloved Beresford...don't act all innocent and "gee guys, is this true?"...

The mod itself does not cost more than the stock Zhaolu, however the finished product, which basically shares very few things in common with the stock DOES cost more than the Beresford. Even twice that...so what? What you get with Ori is honest answers to your questions, not wildly inaccurate and ridiculous claims that it's optimized for mp3, etc. Ori's mods do not cost much more than buying a Zhaolu, buying a Zapfilter, and spending two days or so doing it all yourself. What you don't get is a repackaged product masquerading as something from England, drop-shipped from Asia.

Geez, who's been paying you to say these things? I myself am quite prepared to accept that Beresford knows what he is talking about when he mentions mp3. He did after all develop the 4th mp3 player ever to be sold on the market. A review of the unit, called the mpress3, is at Philex Mpress3 review - IT Reviews.
I also know that he knows a lot about wireless through his work with Trendnet and Labgear.
I can't comment on anything relating to drop shipment since we in Europe get our products directly from the UK and his site mentions that people can pick their purchase up in person in the UK.
But as I said, people like you make claims about Beresford that cannot be substantiated. He has offered to come on head-fi to answer any questions, but since that has not yet been approved by the head-fi admin we just have to accept that there is a concerted effort to discredit Beresford with lies he cannot reply to. Give the man a right to reply when you claim he is selling repackaged stuff. Ori is doing just that with the Zhaolu after all, no matter what parts he is adding to his product. You can't get away from that. So the pot should not call the kettle black
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #34 of 49
I agree, Mr. Beresford SHOULD come here himself, instead of hiding behind an unabashed apologist like yourself, and dispell all the naysayers. I wonder why he doesn't? Could it be that maybe he IS posting under the guise of someone else? The mods haven't approved his membership? What a load of crap. Markl has been posting long before he became a member of the trade, AKZip, same thing. Anyone can post...all he has to do is click "register".

I wonder how some people seem to know so much about his products, details of his business practices, and so many other details. Does he pay well? Perhaps I should enquire about how I can get paid under the table to pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting forum members myself...I certainly wouldn't want to get paid in equipment, it would have to be cash only. "Beresford", I take Paypal...

No one pays me for my opinion. In fact, I pay for the products I comment on, and that alone gives me the right to state my opinions. I don't comment on products I haven't at least demoed personally. Review my posts, you'll see I've never knocked the Beresford or made claims regarding it...only your unsavory behavior.

Have you ever heard an OMZ, or do you just dismiss them out of hand as being overpriced? Yes, it is a modified Zhaolu, but that's where the similarities end. To my knowledge Ori has never claimed anything different, and has worked extensively to improve on an already proven platform. Most electronics available are the same. Few can claim to be revolutionary, or truly "new". Look at LCD television...there's only a handful of LCD display manufacturers, yet hundreds of different models under dozens of brand names. It's not necessary to reinvent the wheel.

From here forward, you are the charter member on my "ignore list".

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #35 of 49
When someone is on your ignore list, does that mean you'll never see replies from them, or just PMs? Has there been a reply since mine, or was it just met with a wall of silence?

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

When someone is on your ignore list, does that mean you'll never see replies from them, or just PMs? Has there been a reply since mine, or was it just met with a wall of silence?

No one replied so nothing to see. However if you ever want to know look at the response number, yours were 34 and 35.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #37 of 49
Ah, gotcha...thx!

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geez, who's been paying you to say these things? I myself am quite prepared to accept that Beresford knows what he is talking about when he mentions mp3. He did after all develop the 4th mp3 player ever to be sold on the market. A review of the unit, called the mpress3, is at Philex Mpress3 review - IT Reviews.
I also know that he knows a lot about wireless through his work with Trendnet and Labgear.
I can't comment on anything relating to drop shipment since we in Europe get our products directly from the UK and his site mentions that people can pick their purchase up in person in the UK.
But as I said, people like you make claims about Beresford that cannot be substantiated. He has offered to come on head-fi to answer any questions, but since that has not yet been approved by the head-fi admin we just have to accept that there is a concerted effort to discredit Beresford with lies he cannot reply to. Give the man a right to reply when you claim he is selling repackaged stuff. Ori is doing just that with the Zhaolu after all, no matter what parts he is adding to his product. You can't get away from that. So the pot should not call the kettle black
wink.gif

Don't you have a rock to go crawl back under?

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #39 of 49
This was in my email from Herandu...

To email Herandu, you can use this online form:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/sendme...member&u=39272

OR, by email:
mailto:fox_ujcbmn@trashmail.net

This is the message:

why don't you shut the **** up? Getting paid as well to come and attack me, or are you doing it for free?

Herandu

Wow...you are just one class act. And to answer your question...I do it for free.
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #40 of 49
Wow...that's classy! Apparently Beresford is the only acceptible "little guy" in the world, and everyone that has a different opinion, approach, taste, or favorite is OBVIOUSLY part of a huge multinational conspiracy whose sole aim is to discredit Beresford. We're all paid to post here, as long as we bash Beresford. I just got my first checks from Denon, Sennheiser, Etymotic, Oritek, Little Dot, Sony, Monster Cable (that one bounced), Signal Cable, HGA Audio, Eichmann, Furman, Klipsch, Sharp, Paulaner, Guinness, Subaru, Taco Bell, Levi's, Puma, Adidas, Liverpool FC, the San Jose Sharks, Chevron, and Red Bull.

I'm just rolling in dough from all my endorsement deals...think I'll drop a couple of bucks on a DAC...should I get a Beresford?

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

We're all paid to post here, as long as we bash [name deliberatley ommited and doesn't really matter...]

Guys/"employees"! Effective immediately please stop posting!!!
mad.gif

I'd go broke if I have to pay for all that...
biggrin.gif

------------

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys/"employees"! Effective immediately please stop posting!!!
mad.gif

I'd go broke if I have to pay for all that...
biggrin.gif

I demand a raise, boss. And a snack machine in the break room!

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #44 of 49
Hi guys. I'm new here and would like to know what happened to the Oritek website? It no longer online. Does Ori still sells and supports items such as the Oritek OMZ DAC 4.2?

I have not been able to find any info from Oritek Audio. I did find an email address (orim@ispwest.com) but it did not go through when I tried emailing him. So is he out of business?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back