Oris update - big changes a-comin' at BD Design
Aug 16, 2003 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
choices.jpg

The Oris 200 Reference is almost ready and I think I'm going to spring for it (isn't pictured above). Imagine a 200 (white horn) on top with a 150 (larger black horn) in front of the bass woofer. Those dual MTM configurations look INSANE!

Bert is really accomplishing a lot these days. The innovations he's been coming up with are terribly impressive considering that he does almost everything by himself.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Looks like he's having a blast.

Aug 16, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 7
what's the price on something like that? do you feel that the bass and hf extension is as good as more conventional designs?--that's the main reason i wouldn't get into horns. but if they sound pretty close to 30hz-20khz (i know they always spec that.... but RARELY measure so in independently).... well, i'm sure you've heard enough good conventional speakers to compare to.

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Hmmmph!
Why are we looking at this?
They look so cool and are sooooo expensive!
I hate my job. I hate my life. I want more money. I hate everything.
The grinch is back.
mad.gif

Aug 17, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 7
Orpheus... more info on Bert's site at www.bd-design.com

Cost of the speaker... hmmmm. If you build the cabinets yourself (simple design), a pair would be:

$800 - 2 Oris 200 horns
$850 - 2 Oris 150 horns
$600 - 2 BD-15's bass woofers
$800 - Pair of Lowther DX3 drivers (to start with)

Looks like about $3000 for the pair with a little DIY work. AER drivers are better, but $$$.

Regarding the sound quality... measurements don't apply. They sound natural, dynamic, and real. I recommend making a trip to VSAC 2003 if you can. It's the pilgrimage to Mecca in the world of horn audio!

www.vsac2003.com

Aug 17, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Regarding the sound quality... measurements don't apply.

i must disagree. frequency response is definitely one of those numbers that corrolates with sound quality. i don't care how good a certain speaker is... if it doesn't have bass that extends low enough, it just won't hit you as hard as something with a sub on material with lots of bass. and if the high-end is rolled off, you're just not gonna hear certain sounds as detailed. i am sure they sound great in the range that they work........... but i guess my question is more like: can you feel those drums hitting you in the chest?--can you hear the sheen of the cymbals as they reverberate about the recording? stuff like that. measurements do apply... unfortunately, manufacturers rarely quote accurate and straightforward numbers.

but they look like they are well designed, and probably sound quite nice. but i wouldn't DIY them myself (i have no time nor skill.) ...by those DIY prices, i assume that fully assembled models must cost a fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back