Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 4, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #7,261 of 8,096
Well to be fair in my opinion Traillii is one of those rare IEMs that doesn’t actually require stock cable to be replaced - on most sources like SP3K and N8ii or even dongles it works like a charm.
That was also part of why I wanted to ask you.
Seems that ideally we need at least 2 DAPs to cover a wider range of IEMs synergy wise or try to achieve better compromises using upgrade cables.
I will see if I might keep DX320 for the sake of broader synergy next to RS8 or just choose different IEMs such as Jewel which have a better synergy.
Another friend is running the bird out of IFI Go Bar Gold which I also own.
Am nevertheless a bit intrigued about the fact that a dongle might sound better with some TOTL IEM than my TOTL DAPs 😉

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #7,262 of 8,096
Am nevertheless a bit intrigued about the fact that a dongle might sound better with some TOTL IEM than my TOTL DAPs 😉
Yep, that’s the fun fact for sure 😂 One of the most prominent examples that I encountered is that several head-fiers prefered the overall timbre and sound of Cayin RU6 running from N8ii rather than N8ii itself.
If you don’t want to feel compromised on the go in terms of SQ I can also recommend Questyle M15 to use with the Bird.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #7,263 of 8,096
Hello!
The synergy with Traillii is marvellous with Chiron cable - RS8 has a huge sub bass bump along with relaxed treble which allows to experience visceral lower frequencies impact and very lush but detailed R2R mids giving you goosebumps.
Treble doesn’t lack detail but also does not have much of sparkle like on N8ii or even more on SP3K.
With stock 1960 specially tuned cable you get more of both sub and mid-bass impact but even less of treble sparkle resulting in combo being a bit more darker than I like to my taste - that is why I prefer Chiron here.

Don't like the N8ii so much with the Traillii? Is the RS8 really an improvement with the Traillii? Currently I use the Traillii with the FT or OTL with N8ii or M9. At this moment I probably like the Traillii with OTL and M9 the most. Even though the N8ii is superior to the M9 in terms of its overall performance, I find the Traillii with the M9 more holographic and emotional. Both are superior to my beloved RS6 with the C9. To avoid misunderstandings: Each of these pairings works very well with the Traillii and sounds great. I bought the Chiron 8W together with my Traillii, but unfortunately only owned it for a week, because then it had a defect. After this I exchanged the Chiron for the OTL. But from the first impression I liked the Chiron 8W very much with the Traillii. That's why I've been thinking for months about whether I should buy the RS8 and the Chiron. Due to the high costs, however, I am unsure whether it is really my Trailli even further optimized and has an even greater synergy compared to my existing DAP'S and cables. I would be very happy about a short assessment.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #7,264 of 8,096
I liked the Traillii + First times Shielding with the AK SP2000 Cu. SP2000's fast and impactful bass helps with Traillii's bass BA. I can also see Chiron working well with Traillii's strengths especially the fast bass and expanded soundstage. OTL hinders traillii's soundstage here and I see OTL pairing incredibly well with DD drivers as to heighten DD's canny holographic soundstage

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #7,265 of 8,096
Don't like the N8ii so much with the Traillii? Is the RS8 really an improvement with the Traillii? Currently I use the Traillii with the FT or OTL with N8ii or M9. At this moment I probably like the Traillii with OTL and M9 the most. Even though the N8ii is superior to the M9 in terms of its overall performance, I find the Traillii with the M9 more holographic and emotional. Both are superior to my beloved RS6 with the C9. To avoid misunderstandings: Each of these pairings works very well with the Traillii and sounds great. I bought the Chiron 8W together with my Traillii, but unfortunately only owned it for a week, because it then had a defect. Then I exchanged it for the OTL. From the first impression I liked the Chiron 8W but very much with the Traillii. That's why I've been thinking for months about whether I should buy the RS8 and the Chiron. Due to the high costs, however, I am unsure whether it is really my Trailli even further optimized and has an even greater synergy compared to my existing DAP'S and cables. I would be very happy about a short assessment.
Unfortunately I don’t own the bird currently and RS8 is not with me yet.
I have had RS6 and M9 though and have been listening on N8II too (though not Traillii but other IEMs like EXT and Phoenix).
What I have read about is that RS8 is hardly more holographic than RS6 which you yet know.
It is also told to have less treble (sparkle) than RS6.
It’s told to be overall smoother and more balanced with a deeper more textured bass and overall bettering detail

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #7,266 of 8,096
Yep, that’s the fun fact for sure 😂 One of the most prominent examples that I encountered is that several head-fiers prefered the overall timbre and sound of Cayin RU6 running from N8ii rather than N8ii itself.
If you don’t want to feel compromised on the go in terms of SQ I can also recommend Questyle M15 to use with the Bird.

I just tried the RU6 on the N8ii with FT and Traillii now the first time because of your post.

Sounds really pretty good and I have to try it out more intensively. From the first impression I liked better in this combination than direct a/b comparison with the combination of RS6+C9. I'm curious to see what my impression looks like after a more intensive or serious test/comparison.

And again unexpectedly something to play around...:)

Thanks

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #7,267 of 8,096
Don't like the N8ii so much with the Traillii? Is the RS8 really an improvement with the Traillii? Currently I use the Traillii with the FT or OTL with N8ii or M9. At this moment I probably like the Traillii with OTL and M9 the most. Even though the N8ii is superior to the M9 in terms of its overall performance, I find the Traillii with the M9 more holographic and emotional. Both are superior to my beloved RS6 with the C9. To avoid misunderstandings: Each of these pairings works very well with the Traillii and sounds great. I bought the Chiron 8W together with my Traillii, but unfortunately only owned it for a week, because then it had a defect. After this I exchanged the Chiron for the OTL. But from the first impression I liked the Chiron 8W very much with the Traillii. That's why I've been thinking for months about whether I should buy the RS8 and the Chiron. Due to the high costs, however, I am unsure whether it is really my Trailli even further optimized and has an even greater synergy compared to my existing DAP'S and cables. I would be very happy about a short assessment.
I do like Traillii with N8ii - it does has a very holographic stage, great microtransients and clarity. N8ii is my reference DAP and it works very with both stock cable and Chiron so I can enjoy different presentations of the Bird.
RS8 is definitely a more coloured player and a more fun one with a darker presentation along with focus on bass and mids.
So RS8 and N8ii are more compliment to each other in my opinion rather than competitors.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #7,269 of 8,096
It has a tighter more controlled bass, lusher mids, and a better vocal and treble presentation. The Odin can be sharper though I do still like it. The Odin can have more bass, but not as tight. For me I would choose Traillii and then use EE Evo or Campfire Teifecta as a compliment for a bass heavy presentation if desired. Enjoy the hunt.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #7,270 of 8,096
It has a tighter more controlled bass, lusher mids, and a better vocal and treble presentation. The Odin can be sharper though I do still like it. The Odin can have more bass, but not as tight. For me I would choose Traillii and then use EE Evo or Campfire Teifecta as a compliment for a bass heavy presentation if desired. Enjoy the hunt.
thank you ! i have the odins and quite like them.

there’s such a hype around traillii, and coming from odins, will it worth the try ?

so many ppl sell these after a while makes me question. sure ppl have different tastes, needs etc. but still i wonder

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #7,272 of 8,096
thank you ! i have the odins and quite like them.l

there’s such a hype around traillii, and coming from odins, will it worth the try ?

so many ppl sell these after a while makes me question. sure ppl have different tastes, needs etc. but still i wonder
In terms of sound quality, Traillii is noticeably better than Odin.
However, if Odin is a 100/100 match for your taste, then Traillii may not be as good for you. In the end, when something is 100/100, it is the moment when there is no point in upgrading, it is better to enjoy the music.

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #7,273 of 8,096
Is anyone pairing the bird with a Sony WM1ZM2? Is it a good match?
I've A/B'd the WM1ZM2 and n8ii a while back and liked the n8ii noticeably better. But it is not a bad pairing with the M2, just different as my preferences lied with the n8ii. Many people believe the bird is source independent meaning it sounds good with most things you pair it with.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #7,274 of 8,096
I've A/B'd the WM1ZM2 and n8ii a while back and liked the n8ii noticeably better. But it is not a bad pairing with the M2, just different as my preferences lied with the n8ii. Many people believe the bird is source independent meaning it sounds good with most things you pair it with.
Confirmed about the n8ii vs 1zm2? I used to have both paired with ragnar and n8ii is better, more treble more airy and sparkle, tonality is more liquid.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #7,275 of 8,096
I think at the end it is down to preference. Both are top of the line and both are engaging but in a slightly different way I feel. If you preference is for more detail I would go with N8ii. However if your preference for a slightly warmer (maybe wetter) presentation, I would go with the ZM2. I like both and happy with either. At the moment though, I reach for the ZM2 more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back