Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #6,166 of 8,096
It has been a while since I visited this thread glad to see it is still active.

I still love my Traillii.

Some of you may already know this but I was helping Andrew of MusicTeck this weekend at CanJam NYC.

I was on duty at one of four tables, my table had two Traillii’s available for demo. One with Orpheus and one with the stock cable. In addition I had two Phoenix, two EXT, the MAD24, the MAD16, and two Jewel’s one with stock and one with the new Chiron cable.

There were four chairs and it was just me to service the customers. At least three chairs were occupied at all times. One of my main objectives was to prevent theft, and to that end I was successful thankfully.
I put 100s of tips on for people especially with the EXT which is a crazy hard one to get tips onto. And had many discussions helping people understand the technical differences, drivers, prices, what would sound similar, etc.

The Traillii is still the reigning champ, there were so many people that specifically came to hear the Traillii, and almost all of them wanted to see if another set would be better for them. Phoenix, Jewell, and to a lesser extent the Red Halo on the table next to me were the sets being compared. Most people agreed that the Orpheus sounded better though around 20% thought stock actually sounded better.
Phoenix for just about everyone was not quite at the level of Traillii but similar, and around 10% preferred the Phoenix. Surprisingly Jewell had even less people claim that set as the winner for them under 5%. Red Halo none on Saturday and two on Sunday preferred that set.

I found the crowd sourced opinions interesting so I thought I would share them on this thread.

As far as other sets at the show, and people deciding on them over Traillii none were mentioned.

For me, I purchased my first FIR IEM the XE6 to build my collection of sets. After the past three days of constant use I think my infatuation has reached its peak now I may start understanding this new set. The bass presence and the nice mids and treble air drew me in. I realized with the Thummim that I actually like a little bass bleed into the mids, although I think it has less of that then the Thummim. This makes the Thummim not a great all rounder. Music like trio jazz I like how the bass gets pushed to the front. I am not finding the XE6 quite that way it actually so far is great as a general purpose set. I have heard so far a few tracks it did not work that well for, though most tracks across many genres sound really nice to me.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #6,167 of 8,096

Some of you may already know this but I was helping Andrew of MusicTeck this weekend at CanJam NYC.

I was on duty at one of four tables, my table had two Traillii’s available for demo. One with Orpheus and one with the stock cable. In addition I had two Phoenix, two EXT, the MAD24, the MAD16, and two Jewel’s one with stock and one with the new Chiron cable.

There were four chairs and it was just me to service the customers. At least three chairs were occupied at all times. One of my main objectives was to prevent theft, and to that end I was successful thankfully.
I put 100s of tips on for people especially with the EXT which is a crazy hard one to get tips onto. And had many discussions helping people understand the technical differences, drivers, prices, what would sound similar, etc.

The Traillii is still the reigning champ, there were so many people that specifically came to hear the Traillii, and almost all of them wanted to see if another set would be better for them. Phoenix, Jewell, and to a lesser extent the Red Halo on the table next to me were the sets being compared. Most people agreed that the Orpheus sounded better though around 20% thought stock actually sounded better.
Phoenix for just about everyone was not quite at the level of Traillii but similar, and around 10% preferred the Phoenix. Surprisingly Jewell had even less people claim that set as the winner for them under 5%. Red Halo none on Saturday and two on Sunday preferred that set.

I found the crowd sourced opinions interesting so I thought I would share them on this thread.

As far as other sets at the show, and people deciding on them over Traillii none were mentioned.

For me, I purchased my first FIR IEM the XE6 to build my collection of sets. After the past three days of constant use I think my infatuation has reached its peak now I may start understanding this new set. The bass presence and the nice mids and treble air drew me in.
I realized with the Thummim that I actually like a little bass bleed into the mids, although I think it has less of that then the Thummim. This makes the Thummim not a great all rounder. Music like trio jazz I like how the bass gets pushed to the front. I am not finding the XE6 quite that way it actually so far is great as a general purpose set. I have heard so far a few tracks it did not work that well for, though most tracks across many genres sound really nice to me.
Like i said traillii is the first totl iem i demoed and bought immediately without hesitation. I didn't believe when Andrew said traillii is not one of the best iem, but the best iem period. Its definitely the best in my collection. I still recommend people to demo before making any purchases as some people might have different preferences.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #6,168 of 8,096
Like i said traillii is the first totl iem i demoed and bought immediately without hesitation. I didn't believe when Andrew said traillii is not one of the best iem, but the best iem period. Its definitely the best in my collection. I still recommend people to demo before making any purchases as some people might think their earpod pro is their endgame signature. 👍
I had a very similar experience although it may have been a little before Andrew started using that slogan. He told me he had a set that his experts thought was the best ever. I asked him to let me hear it on my next visit, he had told me the price. I had zero intention of spending that much, once I got a good seal and heard it I told him I was buying one after less than 5 minutes.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #6,169 of 8,096
Traillii (particularly with orpheus) remains the best sound I've ever heard outside of 2-channel setups.

The fact you picked up an xe6 makes me very interested in it...and I already have a bunch of friends crushing on it hard...will check it out once my skiing travels comes to an end, and I'm back home in Miami with an address I can ship to...

thanks as always for your thoughts, @RTodd.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #6,170 of 8,096

For me, I purchased my first FIR IEM the XE6 to build my collection of sets. After the past three days of constant use I think my infatuation has reached its peak now I may start understanding this new set. The bass presence and the nice mids and treble air drew me in. I realized with the Thummim that I actually like a little bass bleed into the mids, although I think it has less of that then the Thummim. This makes the Thummim not a great all rounder. Music like trio jazz I like how the bass gets pushed to the front. I am not finding the XE6 quite that way it actually so far is great as a general purpose set. I have heard so far a few tracks it did not work that well for, though most tracks across many genres sound really nice to me.

Nice! I have Xe6 incoming and looking forward to comparing them!

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #6,171 of 8,096

For me, I purchased my first FIR IEM the XE6 to build my collection of sets. After the past three days of constant use I think my infatuation has reached its peak now I may start understanding this new set. The bass presence and the nice mids and treble air drew me in. I realized with the Thummim that I actually like a little bass bleed into the mids, although I think it has less of that then the Thummim. This makes the Thummim not a great all rounder. Music like trio jazz I like how the bass gets pushed to the front. I am not finding the XE6 quite that way it actually so far is great as a general purpose set. I have heard so far a few tracks it did not work that well for, though most tracks across many genres sound really nice to me
Out of the hundreds of people in canjam demoing and less than 5% preferred jewel and only 2 people preferred the red halo. Just show that traillii still holds its own after almost 3 years. Traillii performance definitely exceeded the hype.

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #6,172 of 8,096
Out of the hundreds of people in canjam demoing and less than 5% preferred jewel and only 2 people preferred the red halo. Just show that traillii still holds its own after almost 3 years. Traillii performance definitely exceeded the hype.
It really was a revolutionary piece of iem tech.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #6,173 of 8,096

Todd, it was very nice meeting you in person at the show, having a chat, and seeing up close your custom storage cases. You got talent, man!

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #6,174 of 8,096

Yes, the Traillii is one strange Bird. I have heard arguments from professionals and consumers about all its faults; I too have criticised it for being good at everything but not the best in anything. In the end, there's just something about the Traillii -- its all-around great performance, fuss-free-wear-and-forget weight and form factor, and ultimately, the pure and simple enjoyment of the music coming through -- that, for all its imperfections, I have not found anything, at all price points, that can adequately replace hmm...

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #6,175 of 8,096
I too have criticised it for being good at everything but not the best in anything.
People say this, but for me, bird is unquestionably best (for an iem) at:

- portraying accurate tonality
- separation
- layering
- stage size

And, while new stuff has come out since that competes with it, when I first heard the bird, it was easily:

- the best treble I’d heard to date
- and the best ba bass (and among the best bass I’d heard, period.) *I prefer ba bass to dd bass.

For me, Bird remains the best in many sonic categories, and is still the best overall iem I’ve heard.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #6,176 of 8,096

- separation
- layering
- stage size

And, while new stuff has come out since that competes with it, when I first heard the bird, it was easily:

- and the best ba bass (and among the best bass I’d heard, period.) *I prefer ba bass to dd bass.

For me, Bird remains the best in many sonic categories, and is still the best overall iem I’ve heard.
Yes, I concur. The jack of all trades, master of none description some use does not do it justice IMO.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #6,177 of 8,096

- separation
- layering
- stage size

Yes, I concur. The jack of all trades, master of none description some use does not do it justice IMO.
Whilst I agree with you to most degree, I have to say that there are IEMS with clearly better trebles, namely Annihilator, and better bass, since I prefer DD bass (though I know of a soon to be released IEM with killer BA bass) it is pointless to list them here but I think you'd know which. So in essence, if I was listening to electronic music, especially dance with harsh-ish trebles (along the lines of Island by Seven Lions), the Bird would not be my preferred IEM. Now, that all said, I still rate the Traillii very highly; in fact, it is the one IEM I usually take while traveling simply because it out-performs my other IEMS on an averaged out basis across the board of genre, source and material.

Mar 3, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #6,179 of 8,096
I love everything about Trailli, but one thing, the housing. I can see the housing of something like VE erlkonig lasting for a long time, but my now 5 years old HUM pristine acrylic body needs repair from constant usage.

Triailli synergy with LP6 is insane, but I couldn't get the fit I wanted and the body did not feel it would last long enough before I could get over its price tag.

Mar 3, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #6,180 of 8,096
Todd, it was very nice meeting you in person at the show, having a chat, and seeing up close your custom storage cases. You got talent, man!
Thanks Alex, your photo was very popular.
It was so great to meet you, after reading so many of your incredibly informative and well written reviews. You got talent, sir!

A44562C0-55EF-4271-9237-BC08147B96A8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back