Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 13, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #1,352 of 8,027
So, the ham-bird has landed for me!

I’m having some fit issues, though. I use Xelastecs for all of my IEMs, but I can’t seem to get them feeling right with the bird. I’ve tried every size and can get most of the bigger ones to seal, but I get ear soreness pretty fast. Maybe the bigger tips are pushing on my ear-hole too much... or maybe I need to try other tips... How deep seated should these be?

Scanning the thread here it seems like most praise the fit, but I’m not having such luck yet. I can leave my Odins in for hours and hours with no I’ll effects.

Just me?

If you look at my posts these past 15 pages or so, I've been having similar issues. Very comfortable long term fit is difficult to achieve. And the vacuum seal plus massive bass can also cause real fatigue (very egregious with the original tips). This also leads to tip rolling. After a week I'm still not 100% sure I've gotten it down to what I like. None of the tips in the original selection were good for me. Here's list of list to check out, in order of my preference

SpinFit 145
SpinFit 155
AZLA Xelastec
AZLA SednaEarfit
Spiral Dots

This is also quite in sync with what people here think of tips for the Trailli.

I'm still waiting for Symbio F (the Symbio foamies). I have a good feeling about them, since original foamies were the best original tips for me, though too bassy. These seem to be un-bassy foamies.

Another suggestion is to try S size tips (or M if you're usually an L guy). They often provide similar seal only deeper fit, more comfort, and additional sound variations.

But yeah, tips selection is a week point in the Trailli for me. That said, SpinFit 145 has got them to a pretty good place. (I originally liked 155 more but further listening makes me like 145's leaner presentation more). Both have excellent fit and ear-feel.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,353 of 8,027
In other news: I got the UM Mason FS to complement the bird. The fit and tip issues had something to do with this, but I also just really liked what I heard of that IEM. It's still too early to make judgements, or even early forum yelps. Buuuuut I think they're truly special, mysterious IEMs that punch in the same weight class as the bird: this new 5k hyper-IEM level. Although they're very, very different in most regards, the level of technological achievement is comparable.

The main thing about the Mason vs the Trailli is that the Mason makes the Trailli sound a bit gauche. Basic. Banal. Super impressive. But... lacking mystery. The Mason FS is a very refined and somewhat mysterious IEM with possibly the best vocals of any IEM. It's not at all as impressive out of the gate as Trailli, but has it's own hard-to-put-in-words subtle qualities that quickly grown on me. Me not having any fit or tip issues with it as I had with Trailli also helps. It's pretty much the smoothest listen I've ever had with any IEM.

Here's my current suspicion -- I'll get the bird TRULY singing when I buy an LPGT Ti and the pw Audio Orpheus cable :D :D

It's time. Time to totally lose my mind.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,354 of 8,027
Enjoy man! Personally, I thought the Mason FS was insanely overpriced for what it offered. The vocals were amazing so I’ll definitely give it that, but when you’re paying $6000 for an IEM I can’t help but feel you need a lot more than some special vocals, and to me that’s about where it fell flat on it’s face.

May 13, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,355 of 8,027
If you look at my posts these past 15 pages or so, I've been having similar issues. Very comfortable long term fit is difficult to achieve. And the vacuum seal plus massive bass can also cause real fatigue (very egregious with the original tips). This also leads to tip rolling. After a week I'm still not 100% sure I've gotten it down to what I like. None of the tips in the original selection were good for me. Here's list of list to check out, in order of my preference

SpinFit 145
SpinFit 155
AZLA Xelastec
AZLA SednaEarfit
Spiral Dots

I'm still waiting for Symbio F (the Symbio foamies). I have a good feeling about them, since original foamies were the best original tips for me, though too bassy. These seem to be un-bassy foamies.

Another suggestion is to try S size tips (or M if you're usually an L guy). They often provide similar seal only deeper fit, more comfort, and additional sound variations.

But yeah, tips selection is a week point in the Trailli for me. That said, SpinFit 145 has got them to a pretty good place. (I originally liked 155 more but further listening makes me like 145's leaner presentation more). Both have excellent fit and ear-feel.
I’ve settled in on the Sedna Shorts Largest size, having good fit and sound with those.

May 13, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #1,356 of 8,027

SpinFit 145
SpinFit 155
AZLA Xelastec
AZLA SednaEarfit
Spiral Dots

Thanks! I ordered a few different sets, so we’ll see how it goes.

I’m currently trying my Xelastecs, just not pushed too deep - which I’m not used to. The sound is fantastic, but the irrational side of my brain tells me they’ll fall out at some point. My ears were already a tad sore from testing earlier today, so I may have to give them a rest before I learn anything.

May 13, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,357 of 8,027
Enjoy man! Personally, I thought the Mason FS was insanely overpriced for what it offered. The vocals were amazing so I’ll definitely give it that, but when you’re paying $6000 for an IEM I can’t help but feel you need a lot more than some special vocals, and to me that’s about where it fell flat on it’s face.

The Trailli definitely offered me a more instant sense of "oh wow, I understand why these cost 6k!" They really do sound at least 33% better than my 4k IEMs. The soundstage and treble quality are unreal. There's true treble smoothness. Trailli shows how sibilant and fragile even the best IEM trebles are.

That said, I have better detail perception with the Mason than I do with Trailli. They have the same amount of detail but the Mason is a more analytical and neutral IEM and isn't hanging from the chandeliers blowing my mind all the time, so I can zoom in on the sounds more. Which is to my liking. But... that's all small fish. The Trailli soundstage is out of this world. But there is something just as impressive to me about the Mason and it's not the vocals. It's the tactile thickness of the texture of each instrument. That bone conduction does something stranfe and subtle to note weight and quality. And it's really sinking into me how much I love it.

I've also realized I really value smoothness and ear friendly no-fatigue sound and fit. And the Mason might just be the king of that. Unreal smooth listen that one.

I'm truly lucky to have both of them because WOW does the bird blow my mind when I put them on and am reminded of the width of the stage. The Mason FS is very spherical, which I don't usually like. But here the sphere is colossal. Its height is even larger than the Trailli's height. It perhaps even wins in depth with some tracks. But the width is noticeably smaller than the bird. They really complement each other very well.

May 13, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #1,358 of 8,027
The problem with FS, based off my recent extensive source experiment, is that it does NOT sound great with every source gear. In fact, it sounds terrible with some mid-fi stuff, and only OK with some flagship DAPs. It is extremely revealing for the nature of the source.

What it seems to require is very hard blend from the source: it must have both an excellent control of music, as well as a good timbre/tuning. Without the former, the sound falls apart like in SP2000. Without the latter, the sound is neutral but somewhat boring, like with C9 SS mode. So far, the ONLY DAP that has worked for me to pair with FS is the P6 Pro.

Once you get it right, man...

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,360 of 8,027
So far, the ONLY DAP that has worked for me to pair with FS is the P6 Pro.

Once you get it right, man...

Mhm, very excited to hear that combo. Shouldn't be long 'til I get the P6 Pro. Agreed that the Mason FS falls apart on SP2000. The Trailli does pretty well on the SP2000, however, if you have the right adapter. Adapter is ery important to SP2000 sound with 4.4 cables. (PW Audio winter edition is growing on me with the Trailli. Spring is coming tomorrow, will probably be even better).

Not sure I agree with you on FS Mason and C9 SS. I prefer the SS to the tubes and think the C9 in SS/A is very good with the Mason (I use SP2000 to feed the SP2000, so our sources might change things). It's the C9 SS/A that makes me like (okay: love, even) the FS currently. If I only had the SP2000 I'd downright hate it. Would return it.

@Marat Sar did you order an Orpheus? Not sure that’s going to help with your tip issues haha. For my own sake I hope it doesn’t lower the bass also. 😳

Yup, gettin it. If there are any left in MusicTec stock by tomorrow :D. As to how it will "help me with the tip problem" -- I'm hoping it will clean the sound up a bit. Honestly... I'm hoping it will make the Trailli more clinical. It doesn't have enough detail perception for me currently. The detail is there but it's so smooooooth I can't make it out. This makes me tip roll a bit obsessively, I think.

Hmm... maybe if I tried the Mason FS cable with the Trailli! :D Here goes...

May 13, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #1,361 of 8,027
Mhm, very excited to hear that combo. Shouldn't be long 'til I get the P6 Pro. Agreed that the Mason FS falls apart on SP2000. The Trailli does pretty well on the SP2000, however, if you have the right adapter. Adapter is ery important to SP2000 sound with 4.4 cables. (PW Audio winter edition is growing on me with the Trailli. Spring is coming tomorrow, will probably be even better).

Not sure I agree with you on FS Mason and C9 SS. I prefer the SS to the tubes and think the C9 in SS/A is very good with the Mason (I use SP2000 to feed the SP2000, so our sources might change things). It's the C9 SS/A that makes me like (okay: love, even) the FS currently. If I only had the SP2000 I'd downright hate it. Would return it.

Yup, gettin it. If there are any left in MusicTec stock by tomorrow :D. As to how it will "help me with the tip problem" -- I'm hoping it will clean the sound up a bit. Honestly... I'm hoping it will make the Trailli more clinical. It doesn't have enough detail perception for me currently. The detail is there but it's so smooooooth I can't make it out. This makes me tip roll a bit obsessively, I think.

Andrew ordered 5 I believe and he’s sold 3 already. So you should be good to place an order. On top of that he told me PW isn’t sending them to him until early next week. If you want though I’d suggest maybe waiting until I get mine and I can give you my feedback. That’s a whole lot of cable to buy. From what Oriolus told me it makes the vocals brighter, so that may come off as more analytical?

May 13, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #1,362 of 8,027

I certainly like the C9 SS mode with FS. Same here, this mode saved me from retuning it. C9 tube mode becomes too smooth and a bit lack of control.

To me, C9 SS gives you the ultimate neutral experience with FS, which is certainly appealing. P6 Pro, on the other hand, gives you a different experience of its organic yet energetic/musical sound. Both are excellent, and I switch between the two depending on the mood.

Sorry to drop all these in the Traillii thread, but just thought some of you may be interested in the comparison between Traillii and FS.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #1,363 of 8,027
I've had had the fortune to access/demo some of the top IEMs currently out for the past few years, the bird to my ears has got to have the best sounding treble in an IEM. I couldn't really ask for more. The bass too is probably the best in the BA class. It strikes a good balance between power and control. The mids however, I still prefer my Warbler (other bird) for its organic more natural sound, and size. The Warbler still remains my favourite midrange-wise. That being said, trying the bird can be both a gift and a curse. I'm happy I got to hear how one of (if not) the best sounding IEM sounds like, as that may be remembered and serve as a reference. And I thoroughly enjoy listening to my favourite tracks in a way I've never heard before, during my demo with it. At the same time, I'm accursed now to want to have it. Which might take some while saving. Ideally, I'd like to have 2 IEMs. One for pure mids concentrated, and another for hearing everything else from bass to treble. It's hard to find one capable of combining both well. And I think the bird is as close there is.
Bingo...thus, the erlky remains.

May 13, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #1,364 of 8,027
I certainly like the C9 SS mode with FS. Same here, this mode saved me from retuning it. C9 tube mode becomes too smooth and a bit lack of control.

To me, C9 SS gives you the ultimate neutral experience with FS, which is certainly appealing. P6 Pro, on the other hand, gives you a different experience of its organic yet energetic/musical sound. Both are excellent, and I switch between the two depending on the mood.

Sorry to drop all these in the Traillii thread, but just thought some of you may be interested in the comparison between Traillii and FS.
Don’t worry, Traillii has ruined very other thread anyways. Contrasting product mentions are overdue here lmao.

May 13, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #1,365 of 8,027
Honestly the Mason FS is quite complementary to the Traillii, I’m semi salty about the fit being too large on the IEM but I still didn’t rate it that highly for how much it costs. It also doesn’t play that well with EDM music so it just wasn’t for me regardless, that said, I think for orchestral music or very vocal oriented music it’s a very good IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back