Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Oct 8, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #646 of 749
I noticed in your signature that you previously owned an XE6. I've always felt that this model was a direct upgrade from the Szalayi, what are your thoughts?
Didn't get along with the Xe6 sound signature. Too dark, too much midbass and not nearly enough subbass. Decent detail, but no "air" to speak of. Good staging, good imaging, but overall a disappointment. The fact that I still own the Szalayi says it all. It's a much more complete IEM in my opinion.

I listened to the Szalayi for 5 hours straight today and enjoyed every minute of it. Such a full, rich sound with accurate tonality, terrific extension, huge stage depth, and vocals that are easily in the top echelon with regard to clarity.

The only criticism I have is that it lacks a sense of realism, which quite honestly very few IEMs have. But otherwise it's spectacular. A real gem.

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #647 of 749
Didn't get along with the Xe6 sound signature. Too dark, too much midbass and not nearly enough subbass. Decent detail, but no "air" to speak of. Good staging, good imaging, but overall a disappointment. The fact that I still own the Szalayi says it all. It's a much more complete IEM in my opinion.

I listened to the Szalayi for 5 hours straight today and enjoyed every minute of it. Such a full, rich sound with accurate tonality, terrific extension, huge stage depth, and vocals that are easily in the top echelon with regard to clarity.

The only criticism I have is that it lacks a sense of realism, which quite honestly very few IEMs have. But otherwise it's spectacular. A real gem.

Thats a good point, come to think of it I remember the XE6 being too overly warm, hence I have chosen rn6 instead. I might need to reassess my memories of it against Szalayi.

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #648 of 749
I got these in Japan for around $450 like new after listening to them at the store for about 3 hours. I love the bass on these. I still need to try them with my brand new Sony Walkman ZX707.

Do you guys recommend better tips than the stock ones? They seem fine but just in case.

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #649 of 749
I got these in Japan for around $450 like new after listening to them at the store for about 3 hours. I love the bass on these. I still need to try them with my brand new Sony Walkman ZX707.

Do you guys recommend better tips than the stock ones? They seem fine but just in case.

Acoustune aex50 is pretty good, love the comfort from these.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #650 of 749

Clarion TRI tips. Absolutely the best tips for the Szalayi.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #651 of 749
Acoustune aex50 is pretty good, love the comfort from these.
I'll try these tomorrow maybe in stores.
Not available in stores in Japan but found them on Amazon JP for ¥900. Since I had ¥800 in points, they ended up being ¥100 for 3 pairs. Basically 50 cents! 😁

Thanks to you both!

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #652 of 749
This thread is all but dead, which is a shame. The Szalayi is one of the few remaining IEMs in my collection, and I've owned some of the "best" on the market, easily double or triple the price of the Szalayi. What kept the Szalayi in my possession is the overall balanced sound profile, strong bass, incredible layering, and probably the best soundstage depth and imaging I've ever heard in any IEM. Every other TOTL IEM I've owned has been somewhat "boring" in many ways and could not hold a candle to the Szalayi's ability to present the music in a cohesive atmosphere of sound that surrounds you. I will say that the Szalayi NEEDS the Clarion TRI tips to perform its best. Many folks on this thread have commented similarly. It's a match made in heaven.

All that being said, I'm always looking for something better, so has anyone discovered a "better" version of the Szalayi? Something that has a similar sound profile and presentation, but even more clarity, staging, etc?
I completely agree with you I find Szalayi a top player headphone that competes with much higher priced headphones.
At first I found it clunky, closed in the treble and sometimes irritating in the midrange, then thanks to the suggestions in this tread I optimized it with the Tri Clarion tips and with the right cable now the headphone is irreplaceable for me.
The best bass heard to date , mids liquid and open just right and highs much more forward but never irritating.
Does not reach the audiophile level of Noble KK but remains a headphone I love 😍

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #653 of 749
I find the Tri Clarion excellent and make the headset almost perfect for me, but lately I have also put back the AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal Standard which I find more comfortable and at the level of the Tri Clarion.

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #654 of 749
This thread is all but dead, which is a shame. The Szalayi is one of the few remaining IEMs in my collection, and I've owned some of the "best" on the market, easily double or triple the price of the Szalayi. What kept the Szalayi in my possession is the overall balanced sound profile, strong bass, incredible layering, and probably the best soundstage depth and imaging I've ever heard in any IEM. Every other TOTL IEM I've owned has been somewhat "boring" in many ways and could not hold a candle to the Szalayi's ability to present the music in a cohesive atmosphere of sound that surrounds you. I will say that the Szalayi NEEDS the Clarion TRI tips to perform its best. Many folks on this thread have commented similarly. It's a match made in heaven.

All that being said, I'm always looking for something better, so has anyone discovered a "better" version of the Szalayi? Something that has a similar sound profile and presentation, but even more clarity, staging, etc?
I found the square with Ea Cadmus cable, great with Oriolus.
If I may ask what cable do you use?
Thanks

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #655 of 749
The szalayi didn't really gain traction amongst popular reviewers, so I think many potential buyers were put off. I love them, a very pleasurable listen that can occupy your ears for hours. immersive bass that doesn't take away from great vocals, a big shell but ergonomically shaped, and I find them an iem that scales with more power/higher volumes. also recommend the tri clarions

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #656 of 749
Thanks
Just the stock cable. I can see where there might be some room for improvement with another cable, but I'm satisfied for now. I may try rolling some cables from my collection, but it's not really necessary. I like the whole stock setup just as it is.

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #657 of 749
I completely agree with you I find Szalayi a top player headphone that competes with much higher priced headphones.
At first I found it clunky, closed in the treble and sometimes irritating in the midrange, then thanks to the suggestions in this tread I optimized it with the Tri Clarion tips and with the right cable now the headphone is irreplaceable for me.
The best bass heard to date , mids liquid and open just right and highs much more forward but never irritating.
Does not reach the audiophile level of Noble KK but remains a headphone I love 😍

+1 My Szalayi stays with my RN6, Fitear and a bunch other totls. Very few basshead iems that still has priority on mids and yet has subbass reminiscent of offerings from FatFreq's. Certainly one of the most musical and entertaining sets I currently own.

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #658 of 749
Thanks
I just tried the Cadmus with my Szalayi and while it sounded very good (increased details, closer staging, slightly tighter bass, a bit brighter sound overall), I really prefer the stock cable. The stock cable gives a "fuller" sound, a bigger soundstage (much deeper), and the spatial cues seem more accurate and give a better sense of imaging.

Small changes, but definitely noticeable. I think overall the stock cable gives the Szalayi a more unique presentation, while the Cadmus changes it into a more typical presentation. I much prefer the deeper stage and better imaging of stock.

Oct 11, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #659 of 749
I find Szalayi with cadmus cable perfect for me,I find it more audiophile while maintaining the fun side of the headphone.
But as always it is solely a matter of taste 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back