Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Aug 4, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #166 of 736
Thanks. And how big is the shell? Like monarch 2? Blessing 2? Or smaller than those?
Don’t have Monarch but SZA is bigger than my Blessing 2. Thicker .But it still fits me well and is eargonomic! I made up that last word!
As to sound no comparison…….SZA is On another level …..much more blessed! I do agree with comments that it somewhat genre specific…
but upgrading to a cryo silver cable did the trick for me….now it’s brighter and not a dark sound…but of course YMMV..

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #167 of 736
I think that planar driver is finally starting to wake up some on my set... Things aren't quite so dark sounding now, and it's quantifiable by going back-to-back with either my Vortex or Thunder. It's much closer than before to both with details being more obvious. This is a good thing! The sense of spaciouness is growing as well.

Time to shop for a pure silver cable methinks....

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #168 of 736
I think that planar driver is finally starting to wake up some on my set... Things aren't quite so dark sounding now, and it's quantifiable by going back-to-back with either my Vortex or Thunder. It's much closer than before to both with details being more obvious. This is a good thing! The sense of spaciouness is growing as well.

Time to shop for a pure silver cable methinks....
Go for it. Pure Silver cable made a major upgrade to sound of SZA and improved genre use! Mine was made for me by Bag O Audio in Maylasia who created wonderful cable. DSNUTS HAS RECS for budget ones.

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #169 of 736
Did 1 round of tip rolling and settled on Azla Crystal Tips. With ear burn in started to notice recessed mids & blotted loose bass. Did cable roll. Norne audio 4-wire 26awg. silver cable fixed all that! Brought mids forward, tightened up bass stopped blot & improved sound stage. Honourable mention to Eletech Prudence 4-wire a little darker with less sound stage but way better than the stock cable.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #171 of 736
My set has pretty drastically livened up. The only change I've made is using Tanchjim T300 T (treble) tips which definitely helps. No cable yet, just some hours. But it's noticeably different than when it first arrived. By benchmarking against the Thunder, and the Technics TZ700, I can tell it's obviously less dark than it used to be. I guess that planar really wakes up. I think this is the most change I've ever observed in an IEM with some time on the drivers compared to out of the box. When I first got the pair in, I genuinely didn't like the sound with how dark / muddy it was. Now, it's got just enough detail and shimmer, with a nice big stage, that I can enjoy it almost as much as the TZ700 (and that's saying a lot).

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #172 of 736
My set has pretty drastically livened up. The only change I've made is using Tanchjim T300 T (treble) tips which definitely helps. No cable yet, just some hours. But it's noticeably different than when it first arrived. By benchmarking against the Thunder, and the Technics TZ700, I can tell it's obviously less dark than it used to be. I guess that planar really wakes up. I think this is the most change I've ever observed in an IEM with some time on the drivers compared to out of the box. When I first got the pair in, I genuinely didn't like the sound with how dark / muddy it was. Now, it's got just enough detail and shimmer, with a nice big stage, that I can enjoy it almost as much as the TZ700 (and that's saying a lot).

Yeah it's a unique set that takes time to adjust to, certainly staying in my collection as very complementary to everything else. I must try Tanchjim, odd I haven't already!

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #173 of 736
Tried SZA earlier this morning at Zeppelin

Sounded dark and lazy on the stock tips, switched to the Sedna Crystal I had with me, very much improved thereafter

Despite being a tri-brid, SZA sounded pretty coherent
Bass was pretty awesome, mids was organic and treble was quite extended without sounding metallic
Signature was organic, yet technically very proficient

As with the Isabellae, I would like to mention special praise for the stock cable; this is how the stock cable should be like for all IEMs
Neither too shabby nor extravagant, this is a great stock cable, supple and very usable

7db07e31-5d75-4218-83e0-442fc7c40e7d.jpg

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #176 of 736
@drbluenewmexico , I’ve just spent around 25 hrs burning it with some playlists and talk radio stuff via TuneIn, and I have to admit the sonic changes are already taking shape from a bassy, recessed mid, timid treble, narrow sound when first used out of the box, to a more balanced one: now I’m the bass and sub bass are more balanced, the mids are more present now and trebles are getting their way, without being disturbing at all. Also, the narrow imaging at the first hours is faded out and the holographic sound is appearing gradually, which I loved it. Still stock cable and not tip rolling yet, Im planning to use Xelastec tips after getting some more burning. Using A&K SA700 and SE200, Fiio M11 LTD (AKM version) to burning, sometimes with Oriolus BA300.

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #177 of 736
Had the pleasure of trying the Szalayi for the first time. I can actually hear the different types of drivers at work, which is usually a dealbreaker for me, but somehow or other they come together in the Szalayi to make an oddly compelling and appealing whole. I’ll be keeping them in my sights.

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #179 of 736
@drbluenewmexico , I’ve just spent around 25 hrs burning it with some playlists and talk radio stuff via TuneIn, and I have to admit the sonic changes are already taking shape from a bassy, recessed mid, timid treble, narrow sound when first used out of the box, to a more balanced one: now I’m the bass and sub bass are more balanced, the mids are more present now and trebles are getting their way, without being disturbing at all. Also, the narrow imaging at the first hours is faded out and the holographic sound is appearing gradually, which I loved it. Still stock cable and not tip rolling yet, Im planning to use Xelastec tips after getting some more burning. Using A&K SA700 and SE200, Fiio M11 LTD (AKM version) to burning, sometimes with Oriolus BA300.
Keep burning for more improvement!
@t 100 hours could not stop listening!

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #180 of 736
Had the pleasure of trying the Szalayi for the first time. I can actually hear the different types of drivers at work, which is usually a dealbreaker for me, but somehow or other they come together in the Szalayi to make an oddly compelling and appealing whole. I’ll be keeping them in my sights.
They eventually form a unique organic whole! A sublime musical communication for most genres....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back