Original Headroom Max anyone?
Mar 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently pulled my 13 year old 1st generation Headroom Max out of the closet to use on my desk and I'm surprised how fine it is with modern flagship headphones.
Anyone else out there still using theirs? Anyone compared it to some of the newer popular mainstream amps?
[ It's this little guy in the Feb. 1997 Stereophile review by Wes Phillips : http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/261/index.html ]

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 3
I had what was probably the generation after the original for quite some time and it was a great sounding amp.  I remember back in 1997 there were only a handful of headphone amps available and the Max was considered one of the very best along with the Melos SHA Gold and the Cary 300 SEI.

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Donlin. Yeah, back then there were few amps to choose from, and the Cary was mainly an integrated amp.
I was at a show a year or so ago and I still think the Max is up there with all but the high-upper-end amps based on the few I heard
(not too many though). I had a Luxman P1U for a few months and sold it because I liked the lowly little Max better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back