Original Dragonfly v1.0, new version much better?
Oct 26, 2016 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Strauss95

100+ Head-Fier
I have had my original v1.0 Dragonfly for almost 2yrs now. It's my one and only DAC, so I have no experience with any others on the market. I use it with my desktop PC, paired with my Fiio E12 amplifier. Well I've recently been thinking about upgrading some of my current gear, so I've been looking into new DAC and or amp options. I would consider myself a "basshead", since I really like my music to have strong pounding bass. 

With that being said, for portable use I am very happy with my E12. It has tons of power, and the bass boost works fantastic. The problem is, I have noticed I get much better results with my E12 when it is paired with my Dragonfly, on either my PC or laptop. When I listen to music on the go from my phone, which I stack with the E12, my music doesn't sound as good all around as when it's paired with the DF. 

So I've now been looking into possibly the new Dragonfly Black, which I could hopefully pair with my E12 to use with my phone (Galaxy S7). Obviously the DF Black could also still be used on my home PC. My question is, would I notice a substantial improvement in sound quality compared to my v1.0 DF? If so, that could be a solid option for me since I could use it both at home and on the go. 

I've also noticed tons of DAC/amp combos for portable use, but most of those don't have the power output my E12 has. Since I like bass, I need lots of power for my SZ2K's on the go, and would prefer to retain the bass boost option. So it looks like most of the portable DAC/amp combos wouldn't satisfy my needs, at least with my budget as I'd prefer to stay under $400.

A new media player is out of the question, as I am a Spotify premium member, which is what I use for all my music listening. 

Then when the dust settles and I realize I do most of my listening at home, I've started to entertain the thought of getting a non portable amp/DAC combo for my desktop PC. But I have no idea what would be a good combo for under $400 that would still provide similar bass quantity as my current set up provides. I feel like I've entereda huge dark hole, and have no idea where to go! It's really tough trying to pick out something as most audiophiles don't care for strong sub bass. 

Would the new Dragonfly Black be a noticeable improvement over my original v1.0 Dragonfly? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back