Origin of hiss / any solutions to that?
Aug 8, 2007 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
My MicroShar is somewhat hissy. Why?

How can I get rid of the hiss? I could have some ideas but now I'm too tired to post anything that requires any thoughts.

Should I rather ask in DIY forums?
Thanks!

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 7
Yours is ER-4P or S?

What sort of hissing are you hearing? hum, crackle?

If you are using an ER-4P, try the S adapter and see if the hissing is still there.

But I do recall Skylab mention about he's not too impressed with the non too black background of MicroShar amp. So it could be some sort of gain misalignment on the amp itself.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm certainly about to get some other headphones in future and still keep the microshar, so I have to care about that issue.
I'm using ER-4P and indeed with the adapter hiss dissapeared.
I'm certainly curious about what could cause the hiss...
Opamp? Caps? The unshielded case?

The hiss is there even during battery operation.
I'm also interested how to get a bit better treble extention with the microshar.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 7
No clue?

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 7
If changing the adapter to S reduces the hiss then you have gain issue with your MicroShar. If you are too concerned about this you can always contact the manufacturer to adjust the gain level.

If that does not fix it then perhaps we are looking at circuitry flaws that have yet to be addressed to

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 7
What source are you using? Alot of better amplifiers started revealing hiss coming from the sources, not their own, and Etys are notorious for not ignoring the hiss also. Your best bet might be higher impedance adapters, sometimes it could be the cable connecting the source to the amp though.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What source are you using? Alot of better amplifiers started revealing hiss coming from the sources, not their own, and Etys are notorious for not ignoring the hiss also. Your best bet might be higher impedance adapters, sometimes it could be the cable connecting the source to the amp though.

It seems to be a feature of the amp, skylab in his review could compare it to loads of other amps and noticed the hiss, too.
I don't want to use higher impedance adapters because they would change the sound signature too much.
Maybe I will ask later when the amp becomes more wide-spread here.
Maybe in the DIY forum.
Any hiss from cables? I think cables don't do a lot to the sound.
I'm thinking about modding the amp itself. But well - considering the hiss and sound signature adding a 30 Ohm resistor would probably help with any cans a bit - it could 'wake up' the highs and remove some hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back