organizing music in Foobar2000
Dec 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

raddle

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a beginner to computer audio and I would like some help understanding how to use foobar200--in particular how to rip CDs, download tracks, and organize folders. (Using foobar2000 on Windows 7)

So, with foobar2000 is the organization of the music into folders entirely under my control? (unlike iTunes which organizes folders itself).

What format do I rip CDs to? cue and bin? What software can I use for ripping CDs? What ripping software will download track names from the internet?

If I download music as mp3, do I just put that In relevant folders and add the folder to foobar2000?

Dennis

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 3
  I'm a beginner to computer audio and I would like some help understanding how to use foobar200--in particular how to rip CDs, download tracks, and organize folders. (Using foobar2000 on Windows 7)

So, with foobar2000 is the organization of the music into folders entirely under my control? (unlike iTunes which organizes folders itself).

What format do I rip CDs to? cue and bin? What software can I use for ripping CDs? What ripping software will download track names from the internet?

If I download music as mp3, do I just put that In relevant folders and add the folder to foobar2000?

Dennis

So in foobar, you have your main media library which is (I believe) organized however you want it to in the settings, I have it at Artist --> Album --> Songs.

You will want to rip your CD's to either WAV (uncompressed lossless) or FLAC (compressed lossless), you really shouldn't be ripping to mp3/aac for the best quality. I believe foobar has a ripping utility, but I actually use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and I set it up to automatically compress the file to a FLAC. For track names, there is a utility inside EAC that allows me to contact a "remote metadata provider" which is usually preset and it works pretty well.

How I have my music setup is "D:\Music" with folders of each artist, and then each album and then the song. In foobar settings, you have an option to "monitor" certain folders, and when it does that, it automatically adds music to your library when you add them to that folder, in my case, D:\Music.

Also, make sure to download the WASAPI plugin from foobar to setup the output to your DAC.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks a lot. This gives me something to go on, as I mess around with foobar2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back