Organizing FLAC files for iPhone playback
Nov 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

originalsnuffy

Headphoneus Supremus
There are a number of apps that can play back FLAC files on the iphone.  Some can also pass hi res files to compatible DAC / amp units using the Camera Connecting Kit (CCK).

But where I run into an issue is with organizing the music.

There seems to be two ways to load the FLAC files (or other compatible redbook or better files) into the iphone.  

One can "sideload" them into the app using itunes.  Or one can download to the phone using dropbox, google drive, onedrive, etc.

But it seems that all these methods just drop files into one big "bit bucket" without folder organization.  So songs seem to be stored by track or song name, not by artist or album or other preferred method.  I would rather not have Kind of Blue mixed in with Who's Next and Beethoven's Ninth.  Somehow the genre's do not seem to match.

Does anybody have any solutions to this issue.  I suspect that there is a painfully obvious method to do this that somehow I am missing.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Try using Accudio app. I had the same problem. Accudio seems to manage things ok. Or you can try VLC media player app.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Does that app allow the creation of folders?  I am not looking for a way to play flac files.  I am looking for a way to organize the flac files.

To my knowledge VLC does not help in the way of organizing the files.

To be specific, I do not want to have a beatles song starting with a followed by  bach starting with a b followed by miles davis starting with a c in the playlight. So I need folders or something like that.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 5
  Does that app allow the creation of folders?  I am not looking for a way to play flac files.  I am looking for a way to organize the flac files.

To my knowledge VLC does not help in the way of organizing the files.

To be specific, I do not want to have a beatles song starting with a followed by  bach starting with a b followed by miles davis starting with a c in the playlight. So I need folders or something like that.

Try them and find out. =) Yes it will do that.

The problem I had was none of my files from any given album were put into separate folders, instead scattered around randomly in no real order, like you're saying. Using those apps at least put all tracks from one album into one folder and the folders were in alphabetical order, at least by their album name. VLC is free to try, Accudio you must pay.

Just add them using those apps from iTunes highlighting all files within one folder at the same time.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 5
When I sideloaded music into Accudio, it did separate FLAC files into folders after scrolling through the regular itunes playlists. 

I wonder if all my music apps can do that and I just never tried?

My "goto" app had been Nplayer because it is very good about accessing music from the Synology server from within the house.  VLC was not as good at that, but maybe it has a place if it also organizes the music.

Now I am wondering if I should bring in music through some kind of file download program and access it from Accudio.  Say from Google Drive or the Synology file download app. 

Has anybody played with that and can share some experience?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back