organicing itunes
Jul 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rablakli

New Head-Fier
I just recived my new iMac (i can finally get all my music on one hard drive).

And i have started to add my music to the iTunes library.
I have music on several old portable hard drives and mac´s and PC´s.
Some is mp3, some is Apple Lossless and some is FLAC.
i want to have a folder for each file format on the iMac, in case i need to copy it...

how can i set up iTunes to keep mp3 files in the mp3 folder and apple lossless in the apple lossless folder so on....?

how can i keep it organiced in the library and how can i see what file format the file is ?

I most loikely will end up with mp3 on the iPhone, apple lossless on the iPod and i am lokking into iriver for flac files...how do i do this in iTunes?

Any recomandations on what progrm to use to play Flac in iTunes?

Roy

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 5
If you're fully committed to the iTunes environment (my condolences), then you should just transcode all of your FLAC into ALAC. They're both lossless obviously so you can do that without loss of quality. Then you can play it on all of your players, (ipod, iphone and mac/itunes) without needing to fiddle with anything.

As for the rest of your questions, I'm not familiar enough with itunes to help.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Rarn
Thank you for your answer but now i have a follow up question (or two).

Is there another software i can use on the mac that will work with iPhone, iPad, iPod?
Is ALAC equal to FLAC?
I thought FLAC was the file format that "everybody" used or wanted to use, meaning the "best"? 

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 5
I suggest the following although I have not actually tested so do it with a couple files first. First organize your files as you like then before you add them to your iTunes Library:

In iTunes go to Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced, DESELECT the first two options regarding "keep iTunes folders organized" and "copy files to iTunes media library". This should leave your files in place and untouched when adding them to the Library. Test add a file to the Library (e.g. "File-->Add File to Library"). See if it works and leaves your files in place.If so you're golden.

To see what type of file you're using in "Songs" view right-click on the column header and you will see numerous additional column items to display in this view. Select "Kind" and any other fun ones you like (e.g. Bit Rate, Sample Rate) .

FLAC and ALAC are equivalent in quality but iTunes won't play FLAC files. You'll need to get another media player or convert your FLAC to ALAC (Apple lossless audio codec) or maybe even AIFF if your iPod supports it (I think they do). Someone else will have to chime in on a good player for iOS if you stay FLAC. I'm using Win7x64. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back