Ordering a Bifrost but have a question...
Jul 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

walls

100+ Head-Fier
I am ordering a Bifrost to go with my WA2 and HD650's and had a question about the "uber" analog upgrade. Does the upgrade make the treble harsh or fatiguing in any way? I thought I read somewhere on here that it does and I dont really want that to be the case for me as my ears are a little sensitive to overly bright presentations in music.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!!

Walls

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Not harsh or fatiguing to me, after listening to the upgrade most evenings for about a month.  Three things that I would recommend though:
  • Give it at least 100 hours to burn in before judging it.
  • I have head phones that are thought to be slightly soft on the high end (http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/sr-x-mark-3.htm), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
  • Read opinions here on head-fi and elsewhere, I think that most people do not find the upgrade fatiguing.

YMMV

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 7
I have never found the older non-Uber Bifrost or the Uber Bifrost fatiguing, and I'm experienced real fatigue in other setups so I know what to look for. The non-Uber Bifrost, at first blush, did have a bit of a lean toward the higher frequencies and some even described it as "bright," but after burn-in it mellowed out for most people (including me). The Uber I haven't found to be shifted toward the high frequencies at all, if anything it added more punch and heft to bass/lower frequencies versus the non-Uber Bifrost. I will say that I tend to enjoy a fair amount of treble/HF extension over mids and LF's, though, possibly more than most people, so I don't share the same issue/sensitivity as you.

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the opinions, I thought maybe more would chime in.

I am also considering the DacMagic and one from Peachtree.........  ugh.

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 7
I think I am gonna go for it with the upgrade, I hate the thought of not doing the upgrade just to spend more money to find out the difference later. lol.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Ordered today! Will post my thoughts after i get to listen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back