Ordered ER-P4 but...
Mar 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
I think I made a mistake, I have been wanting to check out the ety sound for a while.
biggrin.gif
I purchased a second pair of shure e530's after the e4 I got a CC didn't work properly. Anyways, I wanted to check out the ety treble energy and detail compared to my e530. I got them from amazon so I can exchange them if I don't like them. Well problem is I ordered the P4 because I have heard so much talk about it, but after the fact I think I should have purchased the 4S model because I use an amp. I'ts too late to cancel my order, any thoughts on how well the P4 respond to an amp?

I saw the resistor cable at ety's website and it's 65 dollars
eek.gif
, does this really make them sound like S ? And is there a big diffrence when amping?

Thanks

Scott.

Oh, and would the shure e530 attenuator cable work the same way as the P to S cable? Also, I am little scared that they won't have bass compared to the shures , but a lot of people say an ety is a one of a kind sound.
cool.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I had the ER4P with the S cable, and it does indeed transform them into the S version, requiring an amp.

If you google that PtoS cable for Ety, you can find it cheaper (made by a third party), or see if you can get one used on Head-Fi.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the ER4P with the S cable, and it does indeed transform them into the S version, requiring an amp.

If you google that PtoS cable for Ety, you can find it cheaper (made by a third party), or see if you can get one used on Head-Fi.

Thanks man! I have the same amp - "mini box e+" an amazing amp for the $$$. Just curious what is your iem of choice now
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Sleek SA6, which for me is the end of a long search. Sure you've read about the SA6. Not sure if the $20 coupon is still available at earphonestore.com, but that only makes it $20-$30 more than the Ety (if you go the PtoS cable route). I really feel the SA6 delivers the sound I was looking for, but that may not be true for everyone, especially Ety lovers. I sold my ER4Ps because I favored the Atrio sound, so that came before the SA6s. Now, I am really into the SA6, especially the modular options, which gives a "12 in 1" platform when it comes to sound sig.

And the MiniboxE+ only makes the SA6 that much better, though these phones do not need an amp, like the PK1s or the Ety ER4S do. It sounds great ampless, too.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sleek SA6, which for me is the end of a long search. Sure you've read about the SA6. Not sure if the $20 coupon is still available at earphonestore.com, but that only makes it $20-$30 more than the Ety (if you go the PtoS cable route). I really feel the SA6 delivers the sound I was looking for, but that may not be true for everyone, especially Ety lovers. I sold my ER4Ps because I favored the Atrio sound, so that came before the SA6s. Now, I am really into the SA6, especially the modular options, which gives a "12 in 1" platform when it comes to sound sig.

And the MiniboxE+ only makes the SA6 that much better, though these phones do not need an amp, like the PK1s or the Ety ER4S do. It sounds great ampless, too.

Yes may have to seek those sleek out
biggrin.gif
, I just realized the minibox has a P to S switch- 75 ohm resistor, so I don't need the cable. The modular design of the sleek sounds pretty damn cool. I really am fearing the ety sound may not be for me, as I like detail but also liquid smoothness. The fun is the aspect of finding something new and different is it not
wink.gif
The journey not the destination...... Of course with something modular the journey could last a very long time indeed
very_evil_smiley.gif

Also I get to check out for myself weather the e530 live up to their high price tag.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes may have to seek those sleek out
biggrin.gif
, I just realized the minibox has a P to S switch- 75 ohm resistor so I don't need the cable. The modular design of the sleek sounds pretty damn cool. I realing am fearing the ety sound may not be for me, as I like detail but also liquid smoothness. The fun is the aspect of finding something new and different is it not
wink.gif
The journey not the destination...... Of course with something modular the journey could last a very long time indeed
very_evil_smiley.gif

The whole time I had the Ety ER4P/S, it was very, very cold to me; it had no feeling to it, if you know what I mean. Maybe it sounded to "digital" to me, but to me every note felt biting, harsh, cold, etc. Sure, it had detail, but imo that was all it had going for it.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The whole time I had the Ety ER4P/S, it was very, very cold to me; it had no feeling to it, if you know what I mean. Maybe it sounded to "digital" to me, but to me every note felt biting, harsh, cold, etc. Sure, it had detail, but imo that was all it had going for it.

Well like I said it's so fun to try out new stuff, as we all know. Funny thing is I always seem to end up with an ipod LOL. Even after the kenwood, iriver clix 2, D2, P2, Zen micro, rio carbon, mpio, monolith, ect ect too many to count. I don't use EQ though maybe thats why? Or I am audio challanged
biggrin.gif
I don't think I will ever part with my sony a818- love the sound sig. I love the new zunes SQ too, I'm just too damn picky with their build quality.

Oh sorry, this is the headphone forum
redface.gif
Yes I am expecting the ER-P4 not to be up my alley, but I have to try them. Also I don't have anywhere near as much experiance with heaphones and iems as with daps. My top over the ear cans are senn. hd 595 which I love, but I have a feeling if I ever went to a meet.....

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 8
I own both the E500 and ER-4P (with the P-S cable).

I really want to consolidate my headphone collection so I can afford to buy the Darkvoice 336i/336se tube amp I've had my eyes on for quite some time, but I often drive myself crazy trying to decide which one I prefer. They both are so damn good, yet so damn different.

I have to say that the Etys have better bang for the buck seeing as they cost so much less than the Shures. But the Shures do sound oh so heavenly. Then again, so do the Etys!!

ARGHGGHHHH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back