Ordered DT-880 headphones and EC-01 Tube Amp
Jan 24, 2006 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bill99hawk

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have been reading up on the forums for a while now, but just joined. Thought I would go ahead and post that I ordered the DT880 headphones after much reading, and the new Eddie Current EC-01 tube amp. I had a set of HD580s and other Sennheiser products in the past. The HD580s (without amp) sounded clear, but light/thin for pop/rock music and electronica. However they did sound great for Classical and other instrumental music. The reviews of the DT880 sound like what I am looking for. I will post feedback when I get them and how they sound with the Eddie Current EC-01.

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill99hawk
Hi, I have been reading up on the forums for a while now, but just joined. Thought I would go ahead and post that I ordered the DT880 headphones after much reading, and the new Eddie Current EC-01 tube amp. I had a set of HD580s and other Sennheiser products in the past. The HD580s (without amp) sounded clear, but light/thin for pop/rock music and electronica. However they did sound great for Classical and other instrumental music. The reviews of the DT880 sound like what I am looking for. I will post feedback when I get them and how they sound with the Eddie Current EC-01.

sounds like a great combo. DT880 (at least the old model) love tubes. Speaking of whch, did you get the new (dome-shaped earcups) or old version of the DT880?

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 9
I ordered the recent model, not the 2006 version. I asked Jan with Meier Audio what the difference was and he said mostly cosmetic.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I ordered the recent model, not the 2006 version. I asked Jan with Meier Audio what the difference was and he said mostly cosmetic.

Mostly cosmetic or purely cosmetic?

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix

I asked directly Beyer Dynamic and they said:
Quote:

Bonjour Frédéric,

Tout d'abord nous tenons à vous remerciez de l'intérêt que vous portez pour nos produits.
Le nouveau DT880 Beyerdynamic a changé de design.
Il s'agit essentiellement de modification esthétiques, les caractéristiques techniques restent les mêmes.
Je reste à votre entière disposition pour tout complément d'information.

Sincères salutations,

Chloé Kaas
Sce Marketing
AUDIOPOLE

i.e. in (my poor) English:
Quote:

[...]
The new Beyer Dynamic DT880 has changed its design.
It's essentially esthetic modifications, the technical characteristics remain the same.
[...]

However any change in the "chamber shape" (I essentially refer to to the new grid...) would imply some acoustic properties changes.

But I don't think they are significant.
And even if they were, Beyer Dynamic would probably have communicated about any (minor) improvements...

Fred

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix

He actually said something to the effect of what WEBZEB just posted from the manufacturer. Jan also said he likes the look of the older design more than the newer one. What else has changed with the newer design besides the outside? Either way, I think they both look good.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 9
Woohoo! Welcome to the club!!!
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the EC-01. Was looking at several photos (inside and out) of it on another site last night.

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi, could you send me a link to that other site about the EC-01 please. I'd like to see that too. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back