Ordered a Refurbished 17'' Macbook Pro ($2099)
Jun 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
After being on deathwatch for 4 weeks, my old Mac finally bit the dust.

I'm now waiting, computer-less, for my Refurbished 17'' Macbook Pro to arrive. My iPhone is temporally doing computer duty. This is the exact computer I ordered: The Apple Store (U.S.) - Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

It's the previous generation. I went into the Apple Store and talked to a representive. I compared the 15'' model to the 17'' and decided I liked the big screen. I couldn't afford a new 17'' so I decided to go the Refurbished route. The guy at the Apple Store told me he thought the $2099 one was a good deal - he couldn't come up with a compelling reason not to go refurbished. He also couldn't think of any big difference between the previous and current gen.

My parents, however, think I'm nuts and that I should've bought new. Has anyone bought a Refurbished Mac before? Did I get a good deal?

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 12
refurbished direct is fine, and as good as new, minus the original box. you even get the same warranty. another bonus for buying previous gen this late into the game is that refurbished models are usually unsold stock- ie. genuinely brand new. and if not, people have received free upgraded parts from returned custom orders that fulfill those specs and more.

you got a good deal and probably made out with a free $100 printer and ipod touch.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 12
Hey,

I think you've got a great deal. No worries, my parents are always like that too. They refuse to let me buy any used, but they themselves bought things used before. I think it's their nature to 'protect' their kids from being ripped off.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 12
My friend bought a refurbished mac book pro awhile back. It had a few minor scratches but it worked like new. Since it has some warranty i would say it was a pretty good deal. Used doesn't always mean bad (like headphones)
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 12
You might want to add some more memory to that system and a bigger hard drive. The problem with the hard drive is that it is not user replaceable, but the mac store you went to might give you a good deal on installation. I purchased a 300 GB drive two months ago for my MacBook Pro 15" for about $125.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 12
Yes, refurbished from the Apple Store? You'll be just fine. Just be sure to purchase the Apple Care Plan for $249 to cover yourself. Now refurbished from Ebay - that would be a little scary.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 12
yeah, refurb. from apple is fine. same one year warranty as new...buy applecare and you're set. beautiful machine, but not really portable, eh?
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 12
I buy all my Macs refurbished from Apple (for the past 6 years that is) unless it's a recently released product that I can't wait for. Never had a trouble. Same warranty as a new Mac, plus the added advantage that it's been given the once-over after it was returned (usually by an unsatisfied customer or someone exchanging for something else, not because of being broken).

--Chris

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 12
I think the main thing to watch for is there any serious engineering or design flaws in the computer model you are looking to buy refurbished - or new for that matter. Things like defective motherboards or LCD display problems that is causing people to return their computers to Apple to be refurbished and whether or not Apple found a proper fix for the problem. People seem to complain pretty quick about any defects and the various Apple forums are the place to go and see what problems people are having with the computer you are interested in buying.

Having said that it seems to me that over the years the 17" Powerbook has been one of the more reliable and trouble-free products that Apple makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back