Oracle Turntable Appreciation Forum
Jan 25, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 37
I wouldn't think a Pro-Ject would be an upgrade over the MMT. The SME V or 345 are too dear at this time and probably overkill for an Alexandria. The Wand+ may be a great option.

https://www.oracle-audio.com/oracle-paris-tonearm

I apologize, the tonearm I was thinking of is for the paris see link above.

It seems that your Sumiko arm is more or less a modified Jelco 750D with a longer overall length (a cursory search gave me this info).
Definitely check out the wand and compare it to some other arms, I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #32 of 37
I have contacted Simon Brown at DBL and he is doing some compatibility research for me.
The problem is that buying a new tonearm is more expensive than buying a used turntable with the same arm.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #33 of 37
I have contacted Simon Brown at DBL and he is doing some compatibility research for me.
The problem is that buying a new tonearm is more expensive than buying a used turntable with the same arm.

? I'm not sure what you mean? Are you saying its easier to find a table with the same sumiko arm for less than the cost of a new arm?

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #34 of 37
For what it's worth I don't think that DBL arms underperform on any table or are out of place on higher end tables. All of the reviews (generally independent sites or magazines) rate them highly.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #35 of 37
Sometimes, yes. The cheapest I can find a used SME 309 for is $2,000. There is an Alexandria MK IV that needs some repair for sale. It has a mint 309 on it. The guy wants $1,160. The problem is he is in Denmark and wants all the money up front. I'm very tempted; but the risk is too high.

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #37 of 37
Sometimes, yes. The cheapest I can find a used SME 309 for is $2,000. There is an Alexandria MK IV that needs some repair for sale. It has a mint 309 on it. The guy wants $1,160. The problem is he is in Denmark and wants all the money up front. I'm very tempted; but the risk is too high.

If he'll take PayPal and can get the dealer to pack it up it's probably the best deal you'll find.

How did you get from the Magnepan Unitrac to the Wand, anyway? What country are you in?

I live in Canada, the new Zealand dollar is almost 1 to 1 with ours. It made literally no sense for me to keep the unitrac seeing as it wouldn't match with any cart I would want to put on it amd the wand would take any cart the unitrac could use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back