Opus Vs Ori Zhalou
Sep 30, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, one question, is the optical input on the OMZ disable? if not... optical and digital, which sounds better?

The latest version of OMZ have both inputs and Oli said that there're no difference in sound too!!!
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested to hear the result too...
also, one question, is the optical input on the OMZ disable? if not... optical and digital, which sounds better?

is it just me... or the price on the OMZ just keep on getting higher and higher @_@...

Well optical is digital too, but I think you meant optical and coaxial. It's generally felt that coaxial is a little better, but as with anything audio there are differing opinions on that.

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #33 of 66
Yeah I just use Coax b/c my X-Fi is my transport.

Moist

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah after the poop mod it sounds much more organic......and moist...

omg how did I take this path? lol

I was reading the page HERE a few days ago. The bloke called Earl has been giving the TC-7510 some stick for a few months now without having heard it. Then he gets to compare one to his U$3600 odd Stello. Imagine his amazement how close the TC-7510 came. Add that to the bloke with the U$4000 Chord shocker, and my opinion of the fab value for money of the TC-7510 and a giant killer is no hype
lambda.gif
. Anyone else with a higher end DAC than the Stello and Chord who wish to risk poop on their face
biggrin.gif
?

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #35 of 66
Naw sorry Herandu I like my old PS Audio Dac II better than the 7510. Maybe the mods will change that but I would not pay more than $500 for a dac anyway.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #36 of 66
I think the beresford is a great DAC for the cash, but the Opus is certainly better (and so was the zapfiltered zhaolu I used to own). Of course, you can't account for tastes in sound with this sort of comparison. Maybe the beresford does beat those sort of high-dollar DACs for some peoples taste, but for my own ears there is certainly better to be had.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the oritek has the bigger soundstage but the OPUS has better imaging, pretty much you can pinpoint where all the sounds are coming from on the OPUS.

was the audition using headphones or speakers ?

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #38 of 66
As I'm one of the only few to have these together for a lenght of time (2 weeks). You can't go wrong with either and in my opinion, own both. I love my Ori for headphones. Wide, detailed and wonderful soundstage. The Opus is too forward for me with headphones but that is MHO. The Opus is simply amazing with speakers due to it's projection nearing on 3D. The Ori is nice but its' soundstage is much further back (with speakers). My set up in testing was RSA Apache to Pass Labs Aleph 30 to AV123 Strata Mini's and the Apache out for the headphones. The Ori is SE and the Opus I uses was balanced. Once the boards are available again and my friend Nebby helps me with the power supplies, I will have an Opus in my system. They are both affordable and offer great sound. You really can't go wrong with it. As far as the Zap Filter is concerned, I have one of those too in my SACD modded Sony NS9100ES and it is too bad we didn't do more comparisons with it. I did find though that the Zap Filtered Sony sounds very close to my Meridian 508.24 (<10% difference). If you can have a Zap Filtered source, an Opus and a Ori I would highly recommend it
evil_smiley.gif
The system I'm working on is a Transporter, Opus, Ori, Meridian and vinyl which puts them all to shame. IMHO the source makes 70% of the difference and as these are relatively cheap, you can't go wrong with having both the Ori and the Opus. I hope this helps
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I'm one of the only few to have these together for a lenght of time (2 weeks). You can't go wrong with either and in my opinion, own both. I love my Ori for headphones. Wide, detailed and wonderful soundstage. The Opus is too forward for me with headphones but that is MHO. The Opus is simply amazing with speakers due to it's projection nearing on 3D. The Ori is nice but its' soundstage is much further back (with speakers). My set up in testing was RSA Apache to Pass Labs Aleph 30 to AV123 Strata Mini's and the Apache out for the headphones. The Ori is SE and the Opus I uses was balanced. Once the boards are available again and my friend Nebby helps me with the power supplies, I will have an Opus in my system. They are both affordable and offer great sound. You really can't go wrong with it. As far as the Zap Filter is concerned, I have one of those too in my SACD modded Sony NS9100ES and it is too bad we didn't do more comparisons with it. I did find though that the Zap Filtered Sony sounds very close to my Meridian 508.24 (<10% difference). If you can have a Zap Filtered source, an Opus and a Ori I would highly recommend it
evil_smiley.gif
The system I'm working on is a Transporter, Opus, Ori, Meridian and vinyl which puts them all to shame. IMHO the source makes 70% of the difference and as these are relatively cheap, you can't go wrong with having both the Ori and the Opus. I hope this helps
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks Aaron! This really helps. I am looking for an 'ultimate' DAC for my headphone system, I guess Opus is not it. I will be hanging with my OMZ then
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have we ever seen specs for the TC-7510? If you can show me graphs, I'll believe you.

The ears are the best test instruments ever devised. Have you ever seen graphs for soundstage, warmness, coolness, harshness, graininess, detail, ambience, focus? I haven't and they don't exist, but they are the main deciding factor that we use to make up our mind before purchase. If you are looking for a DAC based on graphs, then I recommend the DAC1. They got loads of graphs.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #42 of 66
Ok quit with this please. There are plenty of other threads to discuss it.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ears are the best test instruments ever devised. Have you ever seen graphs for soundstage, warmness, coolness, harshness, graininess, detail, ambience, focus? I haven't and they don't exist, but they are the main deciding factor that we use to make up our mind before purchase. If you are looking for a DAC based on graphs, then I recommend the DAC1. They got loads of graphs.

If it measures bad, it sounds bad. Converting digital signals to analogue is an electrical engineering problem, not an art. That's all I'm saying.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it measures bad, it sounds bad. Converting digital signals to analogue is an electrical engineering problem, not an art. That's all I'm saying.
evil_smiley.gif

I'd change that a tiny bit. If it measures real bad then it can't be good. Now we just have to determine what's the definition of "real bad"...
You must consider what measurements. Some people are alarmed at jitter of 150pS which they probably can't hear. Some dismiss a DAC because it has noise peaks at -90 dB, which they definitely can't hear. BTW, that's less than a 16th bit of resolution.
Tests are conducted normally with steady tones, which is not typical to music. The noise generated in a real system with real music is different than the test, in the sense that it varies with the signals, in most cases. You must apply the final filter - the ear/brain psychoacoutics - to any of these measurements. That's why magazines give you "listening tests" in addition to the measurements.
There is one speaker designer who claims he doesn't need to listen to his speakers and measurements are enough. I listened to his flagship speaker and I'd suggest that he better listen too...
One day we might have a complete and accurate model of good audio reproduction and a set of tests that would correlate to real-world measurements. Until then, the ear happened to be the best test tool by far - for me. YMMV
I measure first to make sure there is nothing grossly wrong, then I listen. If I hear something odd then I try to correlate it to some factor through measurements. Sometimes it's not practical to trace the issue, so you let it go and proceed based on your subjective listening test. It's an awful method, but it's the best I know.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Aaron! This really helps. I am looking for an 'ultimate' DAC for my headphone system, I guess Opus is not it. I will be hanging with my OMZ then
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that depends on what you're looking for, really. Unfortunately I can't compare to OMZ as I haven't heard it. There are those that have equated OMZ with zapped Zhaolu (which I've owned) as far as SQ goes, not signature. Zapfiltered Opus handily beats zapped Zhaolu to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back