Options for Topping D10 DAC below $100
Nov 4, 2019 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

carlmart

100+ Head-Fier
I already have a Topping D50, which I use for my audio network.

Now I would like to try a good quality DAC on my PC audio output, connected to USB.

One option, recommended by many, is the Topping D10, selling for $90. The DAC chip is the ESS9018.

Are there other alternatives, below $100, that would be a better option?

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 8
I already have a Topping D50, which I use for my audio network.

Now I would like to try a good quality DAC on my PC audio output, connected to USB.

One option, recommended by many, is the Topping D10, selling for $90. The DAC chip is the ESS9018.

Are there other alternatives, below $100, that would be a better option?

You can check out this link for some head to head comparisons for DACs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

I use the Khadas tone board and it retails at $99 USD usually. Cheaper during sales (there's a big sale on aliexpress coming on 11/11!).
It does open up the dynamics and soundstage and details for my music, pretty bang for buck IMHO.

Khadas tone board ranks quite high here, and I can't complain much for the pricing compared to more expensive brands.

The only thing is the Khadas tone board comes usually as a naked board (which doesn't pick up any electronic interferance despite being used next to my desktop). But I paid about 13 bucks to get a acrylic case made for it, to look asthetically better.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Audiosciencereview serves just as a first reference, or one of them. They do not do subjective listenings, which I think are a must in audio equipment.

I do believe in both things, objective and subjective tests, you can't dismiss the latter as many people do. Measurements do not tell you how an equipment will sound, and specs do not mean much without careful listening.

This Khadas tone board you mention seems to be a DAC, right? I do not care about DAC filters, as I do not care about equalization.

Where did you get the Khadas and where did you get the acrylic box for it? You certainly need some sort of case and a very good power supply.

On the D10 I was planning to cut the 5v supply coming from the USB interface, and to add a linear supply for the power.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 8
Audiosciencereview serves just as a first reference, or one of them. They do not do subjective listenings, which I think are a must in audio equipment.

I do believe in both things, objective and subjective tests, you can't dismiss the latter as many people do. Measurements do not tell you how an equipment will sound, and specs do not mean much without careful listening.

This Khadas tone board you mention seems to be a DAC, right? I do not care about DAC filters, as I do not care about equalization.

Where did you get the Khadas and where did you get the acrylic box for it? You certainly need some sort of case and a very good power supply.

On the D10 I was planning to cut the 5v supply coming from the USB interface, and to add a linear supply for the power.

I got the Khadas from Aliexpress, some shops sell the case along with it. I just saw it at $84 USD sale price for 11/11 (u can go to aliexpress and the 11/11 prices are in red colour below the normal price for all products on sale).
Anyway the Khadas tone board is a pure DAC, is powered by USB, which I hook up to my desktop. I don't have any other high end DACs to compare with it, so I can't tell subjectively if it's better than some of the other famous DAC models, and probably you are right that beyond a certain level, our ears probably cannot perceive differences from the DAC.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 8

I bought the generic edition. The VIMs edition is where the khadas board sits on another board for linux users I think. U can read more about the differences here: https://www.khadas.com/tone

From what I know, some cases specially fit the generic Khadas board, some cases only fit the VIMS board, so do check with the sellers in more detail before getting a case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back