Options for a 5.1 Setup
May 5, 2007 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

T.B.N.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I know this forum usually deals with HP's, but this sections said speakers, so anyway...

I'm looking in to getting a 5.1 speaker setup for a computer that I'm building. I'm probably going to be using one of the higher end X-Fi cards. I really have no idea what is out there and how much the price ranges, so I was wondering if someone could explain that to me. I don't really have a budget yet, I just want to know what a "good" setup would be, etc.

So far the only 5.1 computer speakers are relatively inexpensive Logitech systems, I don't know how good those are(?).

Any advice would help a lot,
Thanks

May 5, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.B.N. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I know this forum usually deals with HP's, but this sections said speakers, so anyway...

I'm looking in to getting a 5.1 speaker setup for a computer that I'm building. I'm probably going to be using one of the higher end X-Fi cards. I really have no idea what is out there and how much the price ranges, so I was wondering if someone could explain that to me. I don't really have a budget yet, I just want to know what a "good" setup would be, etc.

So far the only 5.1 computer speakers are relatively inexpensive Logitech systems, I don't know how good those are(?).

Any advice would help a lot,
Thanks

Much will depend on what you want to spend and what you are going to use it for.... For example, if you are primarily a gamer and watch movies some of the Logitech or Klipsch 5.1 sets may be adequate. On the other hand, if you are going to be using it for music and particularly if you intend on playing any hi-def formats like sacd or dvd-a, you will want to look into a ht reciever and separate speakers.

May 5, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 20
Stay away from Logitech. Their speakers are overrated pieces of crap. I would try to find a 5.1 Klipsch Promedia system. Its to bad Klipsch discontinued all the Promedia sets except for the 2 channel systems. I am pretty happy with my Promedia 2.1s. They certainly are not audiophile speakers but they are great for the price and leagues above other computer speakers that I've heard.

May 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 20
Is space (and money) going to be a limitation? If so, then you'll probably have to stick to computer speakers. If not, then I highly recommend looking into getting a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR504 for $150 from shoponkyo.com and go from there.

That way you can upgrade as you go and get great sound along the way.

May 6, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 20
Thanks a lot for the feedback!
Jamfan16- I think that the Onkyo is a little too pricey for me (and big).

PsychoZX- Something like a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 would be in my price range, but I don't think they sell them any more (I couldn't find any online). Does anyone know a model that is basically on par with the Klipsch setup?

Thanks

P.S.: I found this review of the Logitech Z-5500 that is very favorable, but I don't know how reliable that site is...Review

I'd rather not get logitech speakers though if they are overpriced like you say.

May 6, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 20
Have you narrowed down your price range yet?

It also seems like a lot of the main 5.1 speaker packages that have been around for awhile are starting to get phased out, without much to fill the gap (based on my real quick search, I could be wrong)

May 6, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 20
Yeah, I'd like to stay under $400, actually under $300 would be better... It depends I guess on the options. Of course in that price range I'm not expecting anything spectacular, but I just want to know if there is anything decent.

May 6, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from Logitech. Their speakers are overrated pieces of crap.

Hahah, ouch. But QFT.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 20
OK, I'll stay away from the logitechs. But does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

edit: How about these speakers? They are the same model as the Klipsch 5.1's that were recommended above but a 2.1 setup. Now that I think about it a decent 2.1 setup may be more practical for me. Does anyone have any info on these or any other less-than $300 speakers? Thanks again!

May 6, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 20
You would be best served by buying a decent receiver and 2 good speakers which you could eventually buy 5-6 of like Paradigm Atoms or something like those. Take the long road to this and it will be much easier. For $350-400 you could pick up a nice used receiver, 2 speakers and a powered sub for some blast-off! sound.

May 6, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 20
Here's a refurbished Onkyo HT-S590 for $150 (join the 'club'/price includes shipping). I assume the receiver would be your biggest issue because of the size? If you can make it work, it's easily the best option in your price range. All you'd need to buy is some speaker wire and three 3.5mm-to-stereo RCA cables (to go from the sound card to the 5.1 inputs).

That would be a good system, but so would the TX-SR504 and two bookshelves (like some Athenas from onecall.com).

Is this system going in a bedroom/dorm room/living room? Do you have other game systems or sources that could potentially tie into the receiver?

May 7, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 20
Once again, thanks for the replies.

The system will be used in my dorm room, so I'm thinking about space now. Do you think I could get a receiver and two speakers, and possibly get the rest of the speakers later? That would probably be the best option for me, I think.

I'm pretty sure that the computer is going to be the only source. So, if I'm going to get only 2 speakers at first, would it be a good idea to get a receiver and two speakers, or should I get active monitors or something?

Also, does the receiver include amps for the speakers? (I don't know much about this stuff!)

Edit: I actually may have multiple sources, like possibly a CD player/ ipod as well as the computer...

May 7, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 20
Yep, the receivers I've linked to are basically preamp/amp combos with more than enough power for the bookshelves in your price range.

As for the space concern, it definitely goes both ways. It's harder to fit the receiver and bookshelves because they're bigger, but it's hard to find good placement for rear speakers in many dorm rooms.

If you're a hardcore gamer, a 5.1 computer package might serve you best if you're looking for surround sound in first-person shooters. If you're big into movies, you might be let down by the sound quality of computer speakers, but you'd be getting surround sound. If music's your thing, then a quality 2.0/2.1 rig is the way to go.

Plus, you won't be in a dorm for long (unfortunately). At that point, a quality stereo setup can be upgraded or sold for a decent percentage of what you paid originally. If upgrading is your likely course-of-action, then try to demo different brands of speakers before you purchase your first pair. You're going to want to stick to the same brand/make of speakers if you decide to upgrade. If you can't demo, then spend a few days browsing various forums and read what people have to say about particular brands before ordering.

Some good equipment to look into is the TX-SR504 from Onkyo ($150), and either the LS-100B's from Athena or the Level Two Bookshelves from HTD. That would give you a nice 2.0 setup for ~$330-50 after shipping. You could then upgrade with the Dayton 12" sub for $150.

I honestly think that if you go with computer speakers, in a couple years from now you'll be looking at a box full of speakers and cables wondering who you can pawn them off on. If you go with the equipment above (or anything else in its league), you're likely to begin a love affair with audio that'll last for life.

EDIT - There's also the TX-SR304S which you can get for $90. It's probably more along the lines of what you need in a receiver, especially for being $60 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back