Optimized Morgan Jones Tube amp
Feb 21, 2006 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eugenius

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering investing in a new audio setup.

I'm getting either a 0404 or a firewire audiophile, and a morgan jones tube amp.

What are your experiences with this amp? Especially with the Grado SR80, but also with HD580, HD595, DT770pro or A900 ... if anyone heard these combos.

Edit: it uses russian E8CC tubes.
Here's the description (in romanian, but with electrical drawing and pictures of the finished amp): http://www.e88cc-aaf.go.ro/index.htm

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenius
I'm considering investing in a new audio setup.

I'm getting either a 0404 or a firewire audiophile, and a morgan jones tube amp.

What are your experiences with this amp? Especially with the Grado SR80, but also with HD580, HD595, DT770pro or A900 ... if anyone heard these combos.

Edit: it uses russian E8CC tubes.
Here's the description (in romanian, but with electrical drawing and pictures of the finished amp): http://www.e88cc-aaf.go.ro/index.htm

I suggest you to do a search on:

- Headfi with the term 'Morgan Jones', there you can get many hits.
- Headwize.com, look at the diy section with the same term and in the library for projects on this amp (glass section). Tons of information!
- Diyforums.org; look there, because they have started a diy project using versatile pcb's for supply and amp section (solid state and tube oriented supplies!).

I wish you much pleasure in your search. When executed in the right way the Morgan Jones Amp can be a very good instrument for music reproduction, I am told.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Search for Ear Max Pro... the morgan jones is essentially a clone of that amp.

That being said, I can give you some impressions in about a week, I am fine tuning my MJ build right now.

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Ah, yes. I forgot. thanks for bumping the thread.

I haven't spent an enourmous amount of time with the amp yet, due to a sickness which is leaving me with terrible migraines.

However, with the time I have spent, I can say this:

The amp is EXTEREMELY detailed, and gives numerous gains over my Millet hybrid, which by no coincidence, is now for sale.

The MJ has some sweet mids, and very, nice detailed bass. This was the most apparant gain for me. The bass is more pronounced, with a bit more definition.

For the money, the MJ is a wonderful amp. Good enough to make me sell my Millett. However, it is not an amp for the timid. If you are not good with a soldering iron, and if you do not understand at least basics of circuit theory, hand this off to a professional builder.

BTW: I have a 6x4 tube rectified PSU.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 7
I am ordering it from a professional builder anyway.
Mine will have a knob for selecting high / low impedance headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenius
I am ordering it from a professional builder anyway.
Mine will have a knob for selecting high / low impedance headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have two headphone outs, one for low impedance, and one for high impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back