Optimal volume settings?
Aug 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SerialListener

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I was playing with volume settings today for a while to find which ones allow me to play the highest volume without distortion.

Before, I had no dedicated sound card (was using Realtek HD Audio), so what I did was put VLC at around 30% volume, Windows volume also at around 30%, and my speakers at around 75%. The speakers are the Corsair SP2500, and I set them with the Dynamic Pop settings, which add bass and highs. These settings seemed to mitigate the poor quality of the Realtek sound by using the Corsair speakers for amplification.

Recently I bought the M Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard. It improved the quality of the sound much more than I thought it would, and I finally realized how crap onboard audio is. However, I was noticing a light crackling in the left tweeter at high volume, so I thought my former settings could be tweaked.

First thing I noticed was that the Dynamic Pop settings were actually distorting the sound, and it was best to leave the sound untouched by selecting "Reference EQ".

After trying different things, I noticed that if I set Windows volume at 80% and VLC at 20%, it gives a totally different sound than if I put Windows at 20% and VLC at 80%. The first one seems to bring out the details in the foreground at the expense of bass, while the second one results in quick saturation.

Anyway, it seems now that the best thing is to put VLC at 100%, Windows at 100%, uncheck all options that change the sound through software such as Dolby Surround (because they just add distortion), and gradually increase the volume of the speakers. With this method I can go higher in volume before I start hearing some light sizzle in the left tweeter. But at that point it is already much louder than my listening volume. Overall, the sound is terrific!

What are your settings? Is VLC a good player for high quality sound?

I use only FLAC files, some of which are 24/96.

Cheers

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Depending on the hardware you're using, it's often always best to leave digital volume with no attenuation whatsoever and regular volume through your speakers/amp. So, IMO, you are indeed doing the right thing in order to control volume with minimal sound changes.

About VLC, you should think of it as a video player, despite the fact that it also plays audio. A dedicated audio player will give you better control of music, and through different output methods and plugins, it can also give you better sound quality.
There are several popular audio players that you can try:
- foobar2000
- MediaMonkey
- uLilith (Link translated from japanese to english)
- J River Media Center
- Winamp
- iTunes
- Many, many others...

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 4
Ok thanks!

I'll check out foobar.
L3000.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Which version of Windows are you using?

If it's XP or prior, it's said that the volume control was implemented in a horrible manner, chopping off bits or something like that. Best off leaving the Windows volume at 100% if you can and turning down the volume through speakers or headphones by other means.

If it's Vista or Win7, the revised sound stack should have fixed that flaw.

On the other hand, this doesn't take into account how the playback software adjusts volume...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back