Optimal volume levels?
Oct 31, 2006 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cvince

100+ Head-Fier
When using computer as source, should the sound card be cranked to 100%, and the volume on amp changed? Or should it be some other balance between the two?

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Not really.

100% if you are using a digital output. However, with an analog output like cvince is using you want to hit the point of best dynamic range from the sound card which is most likely below a 100%.

A practical way to find out is to install RMAA in loopback mode and adjust the output volume/recording volme untill you hit maximum dynamic range. I did this for a USB connected microphone amp and while tedious it worked pretty well.

Cheers

Thomas

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
Not really.

100% if you are using a digital output. However, with an analog output like cvince is using you want to hit the point of best dynamic range from the sound card which is most likely below a 100%.

Thomas

Right said.

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
Not really.

A practical way to find out is to install RMAA in loopback mode and adjust the output volume/recording volme untill you hit maximum dynamic range. I did this for a USB connected microphone amp and while tedious it worked pretty well.

Cheers

Thomas

Is that only true for sound cards with an amped line out?

What about sound cards with unamped line outs, like the Juli@?

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 7
Hard to tell. I did run RMAA on the Juli@ at some point in the past but I don't quite recall what the optimal parameters were.

It's really a case by case decison where you need to look at the dynamic range of the output but I have seen sound cards show weird behavior at 100% volume even for their line outputs

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back