Optimal Portable Aux Cord Length
Sep 16, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 5
That question could be answered in a million ways.  For my car, a few feet is fine.  For my speakers in the garage, I like it a little longer so I don't have to walk so far away from my car to change the song.  The optimal length is based on the circumstances.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Oh, I see what you mean.  I guess it would take others to chime in but if you are asking because you are trying to find a good length for yourself, try a flexible tape measure.  Otherwise, I'd say its a few feet from your pocket to your ear.  You could even get a longer cable and coil it a little bit in your pocket if you do think you could use a longer length in the future.  I had a jacket that had the earphone hole in the breast pocket which means the length is variable compared to say a hole in the side pocket for ones hands.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 5
My intention was to find the optimal phone in pocket to headphone average, but maybe I worded it wrong.

That's kind of a personal opinion thing. If you're asking sonically, then you could make a cable that is about 20ft long before you start running into interference issues on a shielded cable. But from pocket to head, I'd follow the status quo. I'm pretty sure large companies like westone and shure have dumped a lot of money into polling customers on the optimal cable length when this all first started happening. Mobile audio devices that is. 

48" is good for most users. Some like 60", for the life of me I can't understand why, but I am 5'7". But I run around 45"-48" cables with no issue. I like 48" since it gives me enough slack to move around a lot with no issues, but also doesn't get caught on stuff walking around because of too much slack (50"). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back