Optimal mixing headphones?
Dec 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shonoob

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am looking desperately for a good pair of mixing headphones.  I know that monitors are better, but my current living situation doesn't allow me to invest in some yet.

I have tried LCD-X, which was waay too heavy for me.  I always found myself fidgeting, re-adjusting, or taking them off after a period of use.  I am not currently using Beyerdynamic DT880s, but I would like something more high-end, as I can afford to spend a bit.  I would prefer to spend around $500. 

My criteria is as follows: A neutral / flat Frequency response, and comfort.

I would appreciate any advice that you may have.

Thank you very much!

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Mixing...as in live DJing?

or 

Mastering..adjusting levels in post production?

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 7
My apologies for not specifying mate. Mixing as in mixing/mastering music in a studio, and mastering post production too. Thank you!

I dont personally know of a more neutral+comfortable headphone than what you already have...but youre on the right track as far as wanting to keep it neutral...many folks come in here and ask for mastering cans with killer bass and have to be smacked around a bit to get them to see the error in their ways.

Other that you might consider is HD600,but I dont see that as an upgrade per se,just same/same but different

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 7
Koss ESP/950 might be worth looking at (a bit over budget though), or as previously mentioned the HD 600. If you need something closed, the Beyer T70 or Audio-Technica A2000X might also be good alternatives. Supposedly the Sony CD900ST are fantastic too, but I've never heard them.

The Koss ESP/950 looks very intriguing.  I have heard of the other cans you have mentioned, but have never heard of those Koss headphones.  Have you listened to them personally?  Are they capable of referencing a mix, and are they comfortable?  I am going to be on the lookout to be able to try them!

Cheers

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 7
The Koss ESP/950 looks very intriguing.  I have heard of the other cans you have mentioned, but have never heard of those Koss headphones.  Have you listened to them personally?  Are they capable of referencing a mix, and are they comfortable?  I am going to be on the lookout to be able to try them!

Cheers

I have owned everything I mentioned (and still own the 950), excepting the CD900 (and technically the HD 600 - I owned the HD 580 and played around with them extensively over the years, and have demo'd both the 600 and 650). I've reviewed the 950s elsewhere. I don't generally suggest things I haven't heard (its a big no-no on Head-Fi and usually creates a lot of drama), but felt the CD 900 might be worth a mention just due to their reputation (basically "hey, go read about this thing if you've never heard of it").

I have not used any of these for mixing or mastering, but I can't imagine the 950s would be problematic in terms of detail retrieval. Of course no headphone is going to properly match what speakers will do, and the 950s themselves are so low distortion that they're probably even "worse" in that respect (they can go hilariously loud with no trouble, which most speakers cannot do, especially if they're installed indoors). Their soundstaging/presentation is also going to be unique as they're planar radiators, which won't align with what most headphones do, let alone speakers. So you do need to keep that in mind if using them for mixing or mastering.

Comfort is fantastic on everything I mentioned (again, except the CD900 as I've not heard/owned them). I would probably rank the ESP/950 and the A2000X as the best of the pack though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back