Optimal length for silver cable upgrade for Sennheiser HD 650
May 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lolo

New Head-Fier
Goofy question?  Maybe not.  Here's the issue I'm pondering. 
If I accurately understand the conduction characteristics of silver, they conduct trebles pretty darn fast, maybe faster relative to the bass than even copper does. 1.)  Is that right??  If so, maybe the stock 10' would give a more coherent presentation over the stock 5' (custom isn't an option for me.)  Am I thinking straight on that??  One general advisement out there is that speaker cables should probably be at least 8'.  I've heard that that is largely so in order to allow the bass to sort of catch up with the trebles.  Have you heard that?  2.)  Is that you opinion??  3.)  If so, do you tend to think that same principle generally applies to the little speakers in headphones as well?   
I've gotten one well qualified opinion on the matter.  I'd like to open that up to the panel of experts.
I've been enriched by reading through hours of your postings.  I joined this morning just to ask this nit-picky question.
Thanks for you thoughts/opinions/rantings...

May 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 3
I spoke with Don North of the DNA Sonett wonderful headphone amp fame.  His thoughts:  Because of the adequate impedance of the headphones, the 5' length--even of silver cable--would not be problematic. 
Any further thoughts on the matter would be welcomed.

May 25, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 3
5' is what I would do and what I build.

10' is ridiculous and it'd end up coiled in a loop to collect more EMI haha. If you're clumsy like me it's just more liability. Plus saving money is good right? Silver ain't cheap!

What are you deciding on in terms of terminations, etc? If youre doing a balanced XLR cable I could use some help with my own haha.

Pull all the stops and get an Oyaide. I just got one to do some IEM cables and they're seriously sweet.

1) I've never heard of frequencies having speed. I mean electrons travel damn near instantaneously and you wouldn't hear it anyways.
2) No. That sounds kind of ridiculous. Even if it was true, it still sounds silly to me.
3) I stopped paying attention to engineering in cables for a while. For example I somehow BETTER sound one day from plugging into a Grado extension cable which was connected to my source. Somehow ADDING cable made a difference. I won't really be able to explain that. Silver just sounds better 85 percent of the time. The other 15 is for people with overly bright cans already and it makes them harsh. Usually it's because cables could use a little burn-in.

Recabling Sennheisers is very tedious from what I've collected in the last week. It's worth it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back