Optical vs. Coax: Can You Really Hear the Difference?
Jan 20, 2005 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting settled in with my new Grace m902 DAC/amp feeding it the digital out from my M-Audiophile 24/96 soundcard. The AP2496 has only a coax digital out--no optical. I have searched and read about the preference for optical out from PC's because of galvanic isolation.

I'm experiencing no ground-loop noise problem with the coax digital. Everything sounds clean and quiet. Given the m902's s-Lock jitter correction, does anyone think I would really hear a discernable difference if I upgraded my soundcard to a Chaintech or E-MU with an optical out?

I've gotten to know the AP2496 pretty well after a lot of use and I hate starting over learning the ins and outs of a new card if there is not a chance for a marked improvement in sound quality. Would it really make a difference?

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 20
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say use optical if you have both as an option, but it's not something worth switching cards over.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
I'd say use optical if you have both as an option.

Why? I thought that for short runs coax is superior?
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Why? I thought that for short runs coax is superior?
confused.gif

Well, that's where the issue arises. Before I got into using a PC as my source, I always operated under the impression that coax was preferred over optical, but with PC's generating so much more noise from power sources than dedicated components, optical is preferred because it is isolated from the noise.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
Well, that's where the issue arises. Before I got into using a PC as my source, I always operated under the impression that coax was preferred over optical, but with PC's generating so much more noise from power sources than dedicated components, optical is preferred because it is isolated from the noise.

Good point... optical would work better in that instance I would think.
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

does anyone think I would really hear a discernable difference if I upgraded my soundcard to a Chaintech or E-MU with an optical out?

Why don't you try it with the emu and a glass toslink?

I think I'd hear the difference but it depends on your ears and system.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 20
There isn't really a difference in sound quality.

The only reason to upgrade from Coax to Optical is if your video in your HT system runs faster than your audio does. Sometimes on high-definition systems, the video display will travel faster (afterall, HDTV speeds are faster than normal) than the audio. Sometimes Coax can be known to travel slower than High Definition video signals, therefore the sounds lag behind the video.

Sound quality-wise, I have never been able to hear a difference.

Jan 20, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

LOL, isn't that generally the end result if you hang around this forum long enough?
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

I think I'd hear the difference but it depends on your ears and system.

I could never hear the difference.

Jan 20, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

LOL, isn't that generally the end result if you hang around this forum long enough?
icon10.gif

Not really. All I'm suggesting is you try it (not keep it).

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
The m902's coax input is galvanically isolated through a transformer. No worries about using coax with a computer in this kind of setup. I'd use coax here.

Cool! Thanks Wodgy.

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 20
from my understanding, the coax is a digital signal???? as in...1's and 0's?? highs and lows?
i'm pretty sure the voltage seperation (0V = 0, .5V = 1 or whatver) is great enough not to have any interference.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 20
"The only reason to upgrade from Coax to Optical is if your video in your HT system runs faster than your audio does. Sometimes on high-definition systems, the video display will travel faster (afterall, HDTV speeds are faster than normal) than the audio. Sometimes Coax can be known to travel slower than High Definition video signals, therefore the sounds lag behind the video."

I'm looking for the punchline here, but I don't see it.
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back