Optical Toslink under $35
Dec 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MooTaters

100+ Head-Fier
I have an audio-gd nfb-15.32, and long story short, USB is out of the question.  I've tried troubleshooting it to the point of wanting to pull my hair out, and experienced issues with USB with it before.  Along with attempting to send it in for any possible repair, it never arriving, but being lucky enough to have it make it back within  about 6 months.  I don't plan to send it back again without testing it first with another form of connection.

Since probably February been a sitting paper weight, and I'd like to get it up and running before I possibly pull the trigger on some DT770 Pro 250ohm headphones.  I can't afford some $100+ toslink cable(and wouldn't dream of using it on a $250 dac/amp), would like to stay at or under $35, and since my current hardware doesn't have a coaxial out, optical toslink is my only option.

This will be my first optical toslink cable, so any tips involving that would also be helpful.  I imagine I may have to clean the ports on my PC and dac/amp, as dust may have settled....but I obviously don't know.  At very least I do know you should never touch the tip of it, and keep the cover on the end when in storage.

Below is a link to one of the few I've looked at so far, but as I don't know much about these things I'm seeking you head-fiers for some help.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408232-REG/Comprehensive_XD1_TL3_XHD_XD1_Digital_Toslink.html

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 4
Amazon Basics has some good toslink cables at very reasonable prices. No need to spend more.

Normally the ports on the back of a PC should have a cover. You should not typically have to do any cleaning (not sure how to do so either).

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 4
Amazon Basics has some good toslink cables at very reasonable prices. No need to spend more.

Normally the ports on the back of a PC should have a cover. You should not typically have to do any cleaning (not sure how to do so either).

Do you know how to remove said cover?  It looks like my motherboard's toslink out is mini, while the dac/amp is regular sized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back